Irish Dance by Michele

MarkM

Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:53 am

Michele,

Very nice!! Although this style of playing hasn't reached my long list yet I do appreciate good music when I hear it and I hear it loud and clear here...my dear. I did see Hector's lesson when it came out and I must say that this is very very close. I like the way you now are playing as you use that stool. I think it is giving you a bit more support than what you were doing before. You look and play with confidence which is half the battle. All the notes are coming out with great tone and I don't think you were over empahsizing the bass notes at all. Sounded good from my end. You have blossomed right before us as a very good classical guitar player. Thanks for sharing.

MarkM

abiliog

Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:59 pm

Hi Michele,
I've seen Hector lesson and when I started to watch your video, I was pleasantly surprised.
I'm sure if you make that camera a friend of yours, your playing flows even better. ;)
I don't have any technical advice to help you with the vibrato but I think that with a little more practice and some suggestions from other TG friends, you will improve it, but you play it fluently already.
Very well done Michele, I love to hear it,
Abílio

michelew

Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:59 pm

Thanks everyone!!

Bethroe - thanks - maybe I should go back and look at my previous posts - they're a little hard to watch but part of the reason I post is to have a record of how I've progressed, so I might just do that.

Jay - THanks - as it happens I aspire to your level of picking proficiency - Hector's lesson has a lot in it, I'm looking forward to more of them and learning other classical techniques that we may not get to in songs for steel-strings. And I can't wait to hear your version.

Marc - Thanks - I also think it sounds better on the nylon strings - there is a good reason to get one, I'm sure your version will sound beautiful regardless.

Dennis - a big thank you - while you didn't encourage me to play this song in particular, I love the way you encourage us to try different things that will make us grow as musicians. As for courage - it is like a good virus on this site - its contagious - take singing - I caught the singing bug at TG. And everyone that posts (and others out there that haven't yet - you know who you are) inspire me and encourage me everyday to have a go. I LOVE that about this site, that you can try something and even if you fall on your face (not that I've actually seen that yet - even with Tony encouraging Suzi to fall off her chair) people will help you up, dust you off and point you in the right direction. Am I sounding too smultsey yet? My left hand was tense, I don't know what to do about that. It especially happens when I record. I'm assuming that I'll get over it at some point if I just keep posting. I'd love to learn a trick to fix it. I'm intending to focus on my other project now for a while, but I will be practicing vibrato and the quick arpeggios. Thanks for your sweet words.

Thanks Bob - It's a good lesson - regardless of whether you want to play this style of music give it a listen - it has a few techniques in it.

Jim - thanks for the advice - as it happens my hand is deliberately bent to the right so that I can get a better angle on the strings with my nails. But, you are right also. When I'm relaxed I do what you suggested more. Tension is my enemy. But, I'll remember what you suggested when I'm playing and try and find a happy balance.

MarkM - thanks - it is nice to be told that I've blossomed, I must go and look at my progress.

Abilio - thanks - I love your playing so I take that as a big compliment. I'll be learning - now I've forgotten - the last song you posted.

Thanks everyone for all of your kind words and encouragement.

Michele

AcousticAl

Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:11 pm

willem wrote:
I sat here in my castle and on a moment there came a minstrel and began to play and the lovely maidens began to dance,well that was in my thoughts,you did in my ears beautifull..

NiCE guitar,,nice sound,,new woods he.

I love this lesson,,only listen to it now i must try.

I wonder of Hector comes in here..goodluck Michelle,you did great.

I really liked Willem's comment about your playing. Transports one back in time. Really solid playing, Michele. (although I do miss your smile at the end) :)

michelew

Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:27 pm

THanks Al. Yes I loved Willem's comments too. Re: the smile - maybe I need to get the expression coach's advice again. Ta Michele

***added later*** - I just watched the video again. I did actually have a smile at the end, but I seem to have cut it off the video. oops!

coomba

Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:42 pm

G'day Michele
I'm not qualified to give advice,I just wanted to say that it sounded pretty nice to me!
A very nice way to start my day.
Cheers
Scott

michelew

Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:46 pm

Thanks Scott. That's always nice to hear. Have a great day. Michele

beaker

Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:24 pm

Michelle, for starters that sounded great! If you get nervous when you put on the video recorder, why don't you just let it run and forget that is it running, and then go back later and find the good segment of music and post just that. just a suggestion. Beaker.

buddy

Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:44 pm

Michele,

Bravo, Bravo, Bravo !!!!!!

d_dog

Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:23 pm

Really fantastic Michele! I have absolutely no input. I think you did terrifically. I like Beakers suggestion about letting the camera run, do a few takes all in a row and get relaxed.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic