Response to Two Of Us by MarkM and D_Dog

TGNeil

Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:31 am

Mark and I have been working on this for at least 4 weeks now. Some of this time spent learning and playing the song and some of it dealing with the challenges of recording and sending audio and video files back and forth. It was challenging but we got it, learned a lot, and had a blast.

It's mixed in true "Beatles Stereo" style, meaning things are panned left or right to give a feeling of stereo, so if you're on a single speaker/mono device I'm not sure what it will sound like. In the audio, Marks guitar is on the left, mine on the right, as is in the video. The vocals are panned and divided just a bit to the left and right respectively.

It's been a bit of a Beatles week here, sorry for the onslaught. ;) Thank you Neil for having so many Beatles tunes to choose from, looking forward to more!

Thanks for watching! :)

hasben

Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:46 am

WOW! We get to see John and Paul sit at the Maharishi's feet. Thank's to all three of you.

beaker

Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:36 pm

Firstly, Mark and Damian, WOW! that was great! I can't believe that you guys got that together! You guys are both guitar players AND tech geeks! Good skills. Look forward to your next song.

Neil's insights were really great as well. This kind of thing should be linked to the Two of Us lesson for addition info. It would be a shame to see this get lost. Beaker.

d_dog

Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:53 pm

Thank you so much Neil for the response. The vocal history tidbit, was awesome.
Thank you for the extra lick/run points. Awesome! I would have never picked that out.
I also would have never guessed this song didn't have a bass in it, amazing.
Ya, I hosed up that Am to D change, you're right, it's counter intuitive, but I see now.
Thank you so much.

TGNeil

Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:06 pm

The Am to D change, really a type of cadence in musical terms, uses what is called a suspension- the melody resolves to a note in the dominant chord (D) while the harmony hangs on the previous chord (ii, Am in the key of G) and completes the resolution a measure later.

This is the kind of stuff that made these guys great- no book knowledge of theory but their ears and brains absorbed everything they heard growing up and they managed to get the sounds they wanted. Pretty much all of the things they did that were innovative to the pop world had been done by composers of the previous generations, from John Dowland (Elizabethan lutenist) through Bach and Mozart, to Gershwin and Ellington, and of course Robert Johnson and Chuck Berry.

Throw in a few odd time signature changes, slightly cryptic lyrics (Paul & Linda or Paul & John?) and we have just 1 of almost 300 songs that Lennon and McCartney added to the world songbook.

Unbelievable!

Neil

MarkM

Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:20 pm

Neil,

Thank you for the kind words and the tidbits of knowledge to make this better. As for the barre chords I can be cagey and say that I think there was only one guitar in the song playing that section and that is why I wanted it that way. Although that may be true I will fess up and say that Damian is better at those barre chords than I am. I need to work on them. Plain and simple. I'm comfortable with some and not nearly as much on others. Weak pinky and small hands is what I have to work around. Its no wonder I like open tunings so much. :laugh: :laugh:

Anyway thanks again for this and all the other reviews. They are always a big help. There are so many more Lennon/McCartney songs that spring up to mind that would be great collaborations. These guys just amaze me. I go back now with a "new ear" and I'm dumbfounded and blown away as to what they came up with at such a relatively young age.

MarkM

d_dog

Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:23 pm

TGNeil wrote:
The Am to D change, really a type of cadence in musical terms, uses what is called a suspension- the melody resolves to a note in the dominant chord (D) while the harmony hangs on the previous chord (ii, Am in the key of G) and completes the resolution a measure later.
Neil, I think I actually understand this, thanks to your recent lesson in the Genius Series, Chords in a Major Key. That was an awesome lessons! I can't tell you how many "ah ha" moments I had during that. Really such an excellent way of explaining this. I can't wait to watch it again and make a chart to hang on my wall. For those of you that haven't watched this yet, it's a must see!
http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-ho ... -major-key

Thank you,

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic