Redemption Song - RicksPick

RicksPick

Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:41 am

Hi Everyone

I have been practicing my strumming because I had a blister so was unable to finger pick
All better now thanks,
I played along to Neil (earphones) while playing this, metronome play along.
I am still working on this with the dig in type of emphasis
So comments please, technique tone that sort of thing, come on be honest.

RicksPick

RicksPick

Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:56 am

Wondered what this would be like quicker
So here it is for a laugh, sounds a little like a Uke
Cheating a little, lol, 2x speed but half the time, also did one which kept the pitch the same but this was more amusing.

RicksPick

d_dog

Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:54 pm

Really great work Rick. I loved the fast version! Not to take anything away from your playing, but that was cool.
Great job hitting the bass notes, very clean. Have you considered using Neils two middle fingers for the down strokes, and index finger for the up strokes, strumming method? I just thought the strumming sounded a little stiff. If I remember right, are you the one that doesn't like using a pick? If so, I can appreciate that.
Great job.

BigBear

Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:14 pm

Rick- really solid job! Well done!

A couple of suggestions (you know I can't resist!):

1. Your left hand position looks good but your right hand is open and kinda wild. Consider cupping your picking hand slightly for better control.

2. You hold your pick like I do, which is like a lead electric guitarist but it's wrong. See Neil's lesson on holding the pick more on the first joint of the index finger and at a 90 degree angle to the thumb. I'm working on it but it is a very hard habit to break! lol!

3. Because of your right hand position and the way you hold the pick, your pick is at a weird angle of attack and you are getting a sort of scraping sound more from the edge of the pick than from the flat face. Work on squaring the pick to the string for a fuller and more pronounced tone.

Just some thoughts. It's much easier to see someone else do something that to do it correctly yourself so I'm right there with you buddy!

Again, good job and keep at it, you're doing fantastic!

Cheers! :cheer:

RicksPick

Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:36 pm

Thanks Damien
Yes your right, still struggling with the pick,
The invisible one has been the thing I have always used, and I agree with the scraping sound that my nails produce,I have tried two fingers but find that harder than the pick.
Thanks for the comments

RicksPick

RicksPick

Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:45 pm

Bear

Glad you couldn't resist

I'll try to reign in that crazy hand,Cupping eh! will have a go at that
No pick here though only the invisible one, maybe its time to take the plunge proper like
Maybe it will help to cure a couple of things,Scraping and control, hopefully.
Thanks

RicksPick

MarkM

Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:56 pm

Rick,

I liked the first one and thought the second one was interesting. I may have to go out and get a uke. That was pretty neat. Good individual picking on the bass notes. I agree with Bear and Damian on the strumming. I don't know if this will work but maybe try to think of a longer strum. Meaning that your right hand takes a longer strum between it's highest point up and lowest point down. That may help to induce a more free flowing sound as your pick hits the strings. The song is coming along nicely though. Can't wait to see the follow up. Ire Ire Mon...... :laugh: :laugh:

MarkM

tovo

Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:10 am

No advice on this one Rick, but I thought it was pretty clean. I was digging the Uke version. I think you need to work on some dreadlocks to really get in the mood for this one. Good work mate.

michelew

Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:32 am

Nice Rick! I thought the base notes were great and that you were doing a pretty good job strumming, especially considering you were using an invisible pick. I also don't like using a pick - for some reason I still get the edges of my nails caught. I wondered whether you might be able to strum a little better (more evenly) at a slightly faster speed. I'm doing very little strumming at the moment so take that was a grain of salt. I thought the Uke version was sweet. It made me want to go out and get one too.

Nice job.

Michele

neverfoundthetime

Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:05 am

Nice going Rick! Your left hand position is much better than mine. Neil suggest down strokes with the nail of the middle finger and up strokes with the pad of the index when not using a pick. I find that works just fine.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic