Heart Of Gold - Revisited

MarkM

Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:28 pm

Pete,

You are correct sir. This is a much better version than your first go around. Great job!!! Your tempo was very good and you got nice tone from the strumming. I agree with the others that some of those individual notes on the Em and the bass run on the C need to be a bit more agressive to let them ring out nice and loud. I think Tony said it best that this would allow it to "have some air". Another way would be adding a bit of expression or character. You'll get there I'm sure. I liked the humming you did along with it. Really nice job Pete. You are taking Neils suggestions and really putting it towards this song. I can't wait to see the next version. Bring out the harp.......

MarkM

BigBear

Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:38 pm

tovo wrote:
Hey Pete, you've been working hard I see.

I'm going to use an expression I learned from the Big Bear cause it describes what I want to say perfectly. "It needs some air". I thought that was great when I read it and it seems to apply here. The tune came at me in a steady stream, it needed some space, and some emphasis in places. I'm sure Rick will be along to provide more detail at some point.

There's no doubt however it's improved. Good work.

Cheers mate.

Pete- my great friend from Down Under said it perfectly. You don't need a full strum on every beat of the measure. One of great things about Neil Young's songs is his strategic use of rest strums (if there is such a word!) where he doesn't strum or misses the strum and then emphasizes the next beat.

"I've been /searchin' for a /heart of /gold...". Really hit that first beat of the measure then follow it with much lighter strokes. This will require a lighter touch with the pick so don't strangle it to death.

You kept a nice steady rhythm throughout and you've really improved over the previous video so well done! I would agree that it would help alot to see your left hand in the video.

So keep up the good work my friend! You area very close to having this great NY song mastered!

Cheers! :cheer:

willem

Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:51 pm

Pete,thanks for sharering,,hope you get it quick down down now with the advice from our Bigbear..almost there...wish you the best..

neverfoundthetime

Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:14 pm

Getting better all the time Pete, well done! I'd echo Bill and Bear's comments. I've played this song a lot now and it lives on the expression and the hammer-ons at Em, if you can get some of that in, you're there.

izzyhara

Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:07 pm

Wow !! Nice playing, and you got some great comments here. I will just pipe in to say I loved it !! I also vote heartily for playing with Neil - over and over and over if need be. That's one of my favorite things to do, and the little nuances become better. Nice job, Pete. Izzy

BobR

Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:44 pm

Pete,

Thanks for posting. It's nice to see the improvement from previous posts. With the good comment you got here you'll have it down in no time.

Good job

bob

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic