Response to Just Breathe by AcousticAl

TGNeil

Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:09 pm

Here is my work in progress of 'Just Breathe' by Pearl Jam. I'm actually not a huge P.J. fan- but this is a really great song, great lyrics as well (below). My wife actually introduced me to the song and asked me to learn it for her.
We do what we gotta to do. ;)

I am also attaching a live version of it from a Pearl Jam concert so you can see/hear how Eddie plays it. I learned the song from this version and from other people on youtube that think they know how to play it. It gets a bit rough halfway through when I go from Am to Dm and have the walking bass line to a partial G chord. You'll see.

BTW- you'll also see that I did a shorter version of the song.

Comments welcome as usual.

AcousticAl

Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:48 pm

Hi Neil,

First off, I have to say I'm blown away by the number of video responses you have been getting through in the past days and weeks. Just wow!

And thank you for checking out my version of 'Just Breathe'. I tried that C chord stretch you were talking about and unfortunately it's not easy for me. I'll see if it comes with practice-- if not, 'option 3' works well for me as well.

I'm also glad you think this might be a good lesson one day. Maybe I'll add it to the voting section.

Cheers!!

takhak

Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:22 pm

You sounded great on this one. Eddie sings so fluidly he disguises how fast he's
picking. It's very deceptive. I found this out playing Guaraunteed. he rips through the picking on that one too. the lyrics had me convinced it was a slow ballad.

jayswett

Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:47 am

This would indeed be a great Target Lesson. That 4th finger stretch is a doozy, and although I haven't yet tried that maneuver, I'm thinking that one of the other alternatives would work for most of us. I've been simply ignoring that high A note, but now I'm I see it's a fairly important note for the intro. Al, I'd love to see an update.

hasben

Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:28 am

Al and Neil, thank you both. I'll have to say I was not familiar with the song as I am not a big Pearl Jam fan. I do get a lot from the contributions of our "family" and of course Neil's always-dead-on coaching. I think Eddie is playing my guitar: Martin D-15. Perhaps I am wrong and Martin makes another plain-jane dred? Anyway, good job Team TG!

neverfoundthetime

Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:08 pm

What the man said Al! Good job!
Not bad response-to-post-ratio: The response was 4 minutes longer than your video... that's pretty cool!

AcousticAl

Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:17 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:
What the man said Al! Good job!
Not bad response-to-post-ratio: The response was 4 minutes longer than your video... that's pretty cool!
I know, Chris! Guess I should play longer next time-- to match the length and detail of Neil's response!

Jay- I will get to an update eventually. Working on 'Have to Say I Love You in a Song' right now.

Tak & hasben- thanks for your comments.

robw95

Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:36 pm

Hi Al,

Earlier today I posted a lesson request for 'Just Breathe'. Some other members then pointed me to your lesson and Neils response. Very nice stuff you did. Neil's response took me a little further than I was but I would be psyched to see him do a full Target lesson on this song.

Hasben, I think it is a Martin 00-17 that Vedder is playing, at least thats the conclusion the guys on the umgf.com (martin forum) came to.

Rob
Rob

AcousticAl

Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:41 am

robw95 wrote:
Hi Al,

Earlier today I posted a lesson request for 'Just Breathe'. Some other members then pointed me to your lesson and Neils response. Very nice stuff you did. Neil's response took me a little further than I was but I would be psyched to see him do a full Target lesson on this song.

Hasben, I think it is a Martin 00-17 that Vedder is playing, at least thats the conclusion the guys on the umgf.com (martin forum) came to.

Rob
Rob

Hey there, Rob.

Thanks for checking out my version (and Neil's response of course). I see from your other thread that someone sent you to the song voting- where I requested this song as well. As you no doubt also heard in his response, Neil hinted that he may be interested in doing a full lesson on this in the future. Fingers crossed it's soon.

Lastly, I'd like to see where you're at with this song. If you're able to upload a video- go for it!

izzyhara

Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:08 am

So after you first put this up, I got attached to it, and started playing it. I so love to play those rolling finger picking styles. And I am starting to sing it as well. HOWEVER I was having trouble with reaching that high C and actually put the song away. Now I have alternate things to try, so out it comes again. Thanks for putting this up, and as usual, Thanks Neil for such a meaningful response. Izzy

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic