Updated a bit -MarkM -George Harrison's Isn't it a Pity - need help

MarkM

Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:45 pm

Hi all. Slow day today as I was home tending to two sick kids and a sick wife. After last week when Neil was playing a song from George Harrison's All Things Must Pass album I revisited it myself. I need some help with this one as I can't find an acoustic version of it anywhere. I went online and tried to find some chords that will work and believe I have them but I'm not sure. I need to have them verified with you kind folks. Once I have it down correctly then I may give singing a go on this song. The first 8 measures and the last 12 measures use this chord progression I believe. Well its what I'm playing anyway (or rather trying too)

G (Get ready for a fancy name if it is correct?) C#m7b5/G, Cmaj7/G, G

The rest of the song is

G, D?? (xx2323), C, G
G, A7, C, G

So if you can see what my fingering looks like on these chords and see if they are actually the correct chords I would be thankfu.

Also this song doesn't lend itself to too much embellishments. If you have some ideas that would be great as well. Again this is a pretty rough draft. It's a bit long an boring with no singing I know. Sorry.

Here is what the song sounds like on the album

Thanks for your help.

I grabbed some time later today and took some time to change things up a bit here. With yesterdays mildly boring display I wanted to see what it would sound like in this style. A bit of palm muting and some hammerons here and there. Changed the strum pattern a bit. Still getting used to some of these chords and I'm sure that when Neil sets me strait on the correct chords I'll make some more minor adjustments. Really all I was trying to do with this was try a different approach that I hadn't heard before that may work with some singing. Its a very loose arrangement for lack of a better term. My apologies at posting this update as I really didn't want to throw out too many. I'm a bit embarrassed and hopefully I don't take more than my fair share of space here. As I don't have much in the works right now I will be on a very strict diet of posting new videos for review. Kind of a self imposed fasting from new stuff until I get it down right. Thanks for your patience.

MarkM

cosmicmechanic

Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:08 pm

Mark, just a quick answer on the spur of the moment.

I greatly enjoyed your strumming and ended up singing along.

I'll try your chords out soon.

Only suggestion I have is: watch what you do with that pick when
you reach for your remote control, you may end up joining the "TG Pick Swallowers Club".

I often have to be strict with myself when I need a third arm and am tempted to put a nail or screw between my lips, a definite NO-NO.

Good post !

Pierre

tovo

Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:17 pm

Yeah I echo the CM, I enjoy watching these works in progress.

In terms of suggestions Mark, perhaps when strumming the C you could do a hammer on with the 2nd finger? Might add something?

After Cosmic's warning about the dangers of picks between the teeth I will try to break the habit but don't like my chances. Besides...any REAL musician would be proud to die choking on a pick...

jayswett

Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:37 pm

Your recording setup is great. The guitar sounds awesome. The thing that came to mind as I was watching the first part of your video was that the downward strumming seemed monotonous. As I was thinking to myself that you needed more upstrokes, you began doing that very thing about a minute, thirty into the performance. Having heard you sing Norwegian Wood, I have no doubt you would sound great singing this one as well.

izzyhara

Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:42 pm

I think these chords sound great. They sound as close as I could probably get, listening to the song through one time. It doesn't need to be exactly the way George does it, right? I never had music or tabs when growing up with the guitar, so it was always just hours of listening, even playing with the balance, treble and bass to pick up little nuances. I think you are darn close. Way to go !!!

neverfoundthetime

Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:53 pm

Never listened to this song before Mark, so I heard you first and George second. I always love your strumming, always solid. I noticed when listening to George that it has a pulse like Imagine does (typical piano sound), so anything that helps you get that feel would sound good.

wammer

Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:04 pm

Mark try this out

G Em Cmaj7 Em C G

Em C Em G

How we break each others hearts
???????????????
Am G Amaj7 Am A C c/G C G

LOL Tammy

MarkM

Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:05 pm

Thanks all.

Pierre - Thanks! Haven't lost a pick yet. :)

Tony - Thanks. Yes I probably could throw that hammeron from time to time. The song is very cadenced (if that is a word) so I'd have to figure out how to best fit it in.

Jay - Thanks. I purposely played very hard on the downbeats and bearly a whisper on the upstrokes in the first verse (really the first 1/3 of the song) to try and differentiate it from the the rest of the song. During the line of "Some things take so long" (call it the second verse) is when the song picks up and that's when I went to the more free style of strumming. The song on the album has a ton of instruments on it and with just me playing I'm not quite sure what to do.

Izzy - Thank you. The chords are just ones I decided to go with that I found on the internet. There are a few out there but these seemed to be the correct ones. I hope anyway.

Chris - Yup it does have a bit of Imagine in there I suppose. What I need is a great lead player that knows the slide really well. Any takers?????? Thanks!!!

MarkM

MarkM

Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:07 pm

wammer wrote:
Mark try this out

G Em Cmaj7 Em C G

Em C Em G

How we break each others hearts
???????????????
Am G Amaj7 Am A C c/G C G

LOL Tammy

Nice. I'll have to see how that fits. Thanks.

MarkM

wammer

Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:09 pm

Mark you have a pm :blush:

Tammy

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic