Bourree - tvarga

mark

Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:42 am

As everyone has said this is a hard song.
I've only got as far as the first 4 bars.

As others have said, your left hand position is causing you problems. There is a lot of movement going from bar chords to the base ball bat grip and back again. This is bound to make it harder to play.

Neil suggests using different right hand fingers every time you play a note on the same string. I can't tell if you are doing it or not. Is difficult to do but helps with speed and keeping it smooth.

You mat benefit from slowing it right down and try and hold each note as long as possible.

neverfoundthetime

Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:56 am

Hi Tom and welcome to the video posters club! Great first video on a very difficult tune. You have already received loads of good feedback and I expect Neil will be along with a video response shortly... I'll tune into that too as there is always so much to learn out of Neil's comments. Great start!

dennisg

Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:10 am

Hi Tom,

Really, really nice job with an incredibly difficult song. You should be very proud of yourself for the accomplishment.

This isn't the first time we've seen someone using Photo Booth have a problem with a flipped video. Two things you might consider: 1) Use the image-capture capability of iMovie, assuming you have it. If you don't, consider making the small investment in iLife which iMovie and Garage Band are part of; and 2) If you intend to post more videos, consider getting a little Kodak Zi8 or Flip Mino camera. The quality of your video and audio recording will improve immeasurably.

d_dog

Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:13 pm

dennisg wrote:
This isn't the first time we've seen someone using Photo Booth have a problem with a flipped video. Two things you might consider: 1) Use the image-capture capability of iMovie, assuming you have it. If you don't, consider making the small investment in iLife which iMovie and Garage Band are part of; and 2) If you intend to post more videos, consider getting a little Kodak Zi8 or Flip Mino camera. The quality of your video and audio recording will improve immeasurably.
I whole heartedly agree with Dennis on the iMovie thing. If you have iMovie that is. I believe all newer Mac's come with iLife. Even if you don't end up using a capture feature, you can still open your "Photo Booth" movie in iMovie and flip it around in there. Here is a link on how to do that.
http://www.ehow.com/how_5028824_flip-videos-imovie.html

Music Junkie

Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:03 pm

Hey Tom! That was darn good. It is a bit beyond my capabilities for now, but I love that piece of music and intend on checking it out someday. Your hard work shows, as your chord changes were very nice in my opinion. It seems you have the feel for getting your fingers there at the right time and not just hammering a chord down at the last minute (something I am struggling with right now). Congrats on the post and on the great job.

Also, don't feel like you have to switch your camera from mirror view. Even if it is fake, it makes me feel like I am not alone out here in left-handed land..... :woohoo:

J

tvarga

Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:24 pm

Hey everyone, just wanted to thank you for all the constructive comments.
The three comments on my sitting position, overactive wrist movements and resting my pinky on the soundboard really made me sit up and take notice. So, I went back to Neil's lesson and watched him play it a few more times. Sure enough, those are things I really need to work on.

The funny thing is that I've always rested my pinky on the soundboard more as a confidence thing. Tonight I forced myself to not do that and immediately, my playing improved. Next, I sat up straight without leaning back on the chair and moved the guitar to a position more like Neil does and again, things are sounding and feeling better.

I'm amazed that all your constructive feedback has already been so helpful. I'm so glad that I finally got over my fear of uploading a video. Given my positive experience with doing this, I can definitely suggest that everyone upload a video. You won't regret it! :)

Chasplaya

Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:05 am

tvarga wrote:
Hey everyone, just wanted to thank you for all the constructive comments.
The three comments on my sitting position, overactive wrist movements and resting my pinky on the soundboard really made me sit up and take notice. So, I went back to Neil's lesson and watched him play it a few more times. Sure enough, those are things I really need to work on.

The funny thing is that I've always rested my pinky on the soundboard more as a confidence thing. Tonight I forced myself to not do that and immediately, my playing improved. Next, I sat up straight without leaning back on the chair and moved the guitar to a position more like Neil does and again, things are sounding and feeling better.

I'm amazed that all your constructive feedback has already been so helpful. I'm so glad that I finally got over my fear of uploading a video. Given my positive experience with doing this, I can definitely suggest that everyone upload a video. You won't regret it! :)
Hey mate, Tom isn't it? its what this place is all about friends helping friends. Your post would be good for the Testimonial thread. Glad to be of help and particulalry since the advice from all here worked for you.

Good on ya mate

Chas

izzyhara

Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:35 am

You are much farther along on this song than I am. But I am encouraged to continue, after watching your wonderful performance. I am forcing myself to stay in the first section until it is really good. Loved the comments about the pinky - that is something I have done for at least 100 years, and I am re-training myself, so that is always a good reminder. I am also watching how I sit when I play. Your left hand movement is so smooth - I am still pretty jerky so watching you was inspiring. I will be watching this over and over. Great job, and congrats on your first video post. Izzy

wrench

Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:00 pm

tvarga wrote:
I guess my left hand fingering isn't quite pressing down hard enough at some times. So, I'm looking for some thoughts and feedback.
Well done, Tom. You certainly took no easy way to your first post. And welcome to the club.

Your post mentioned some notes that were not clear. I noticed in the video that occasionally you would fret some notes more toward the pad of your fingers instead of the tips. Perhaps this is the source of some weaker notes.

Good job, and congratulations on your first video.

Dan

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic