Bourree - tvarga

tvarga

Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:56 pm

Well, this is my first upload of a video. I've played this song hundreds of times now and have probably driven my family crazy by now. :) Anyway, when I'm not under pressure, I can generally play all the way through the piece with few errors. But no matter how many times I tried to record myself playing it, I could never get all the way through without messing up. This video is the best one that I've managed to do.

Generally, I'm pretty satisfied with how I'm playing the song, but when I listen to it on the video, the tone sounds pretty weak. I guess my left hand fingering isn't quite pressing down hard enough at some times. So, I'm looking for some thoughts and feedback. (BTW, I didn't notice that photo booth reverses the video so it looks like I'm a lefty :))

Thanks,
-Tom

haoli25

Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:06 pm

Nice job Tom with what can be a difficult song to master. You are certainly well on your way with Bourree. Thanks for posting your video.

Bill Image

mcfingers

Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:13 pm

Hey, nice work Tom. I use a Mac to and didn't catch the reversal from Photo Booth either.

I think your fingering is fine. You might try going into the System preferences and select the Sound (speaker) icon. Then from the top menu select input. You can then boost the sensitivity of the microphone and that might give you more sound in your recording. That's what I had to do anyway.

Bottom line is I thought you did a very respectable job. Bravo. Steve

d_dog

Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:35 pm

Wow, awesome first time out of the gate Tom! An 8 no less, very nice! I can't play this song, I am not adept at finger picking at all, but I'll make a comment anyway about hand position. I noticed your left hand (real left hand) changes positions a lot, your wrist is really bending a lot. It seems to "claw" or baseball grip up, every time you go for the G note on the low E string with your ring finger. This constant wrist movement can make it very difficult to get to each note and chord efficiently. If you watch Neil, you'll note that his wrist hardly bends at all during the whole song. Now believe me, I can't do this either, I can't honestly say I know any tips to help you accomplish this, it's just an observation I thought I'd point out. I'm not sure I could reach that note either without griping up on the neck either. Unless I'm off base here with my feedback, maybe Neil will give you some pointers on how to work on left hand position. I mean in absolutely no way to detract from how awesome you played this, I think you are really good. I can't wait to hear more from you.

Lavallee

Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:19 am

Hi Tom, this is is really on its way, it sounds good. You migth want to look into Neil's lesson for the section in your video at 1.06. Neils calls that quick hammer on the "mordent" followed by with a quick F# and open B string which sounds like it should be. Look in in his lessons section B2 around 1.55.

I migth not be the best person to recommend this but you would benefit from practicing with the metronome. I was preparing to post Bourree as well but with my last videos' comments, I realize that I need to focus on that aspect since my timing needs to be rethink. I often try to keep pace with the song speed but go too quick on section I am confortable with and muffled the section I am less confortable and try to keep the pace giving a fast /slow/fast/slow tempo. I am going to used the metronome section on the lesson for every song now

This is a great achievement to have memorized the piece and going through like you are doing. You are almost there.

Marc

Craig

Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:17 am

Hey Tom,
Great job on your first video post! If it makes you feel any better, I totally butchered a song that I could play decently on my first video. Something about pushing that "record" button! :laugh: It gets a little easier each time. Congratulations on a good job on a difficult piece. Keep up the great work!
Craig

tovo

Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:39 am

Tom great work on a very tough song. Big kudos for your first post. I think you could benefit from adjusting your sound settings cause I don't think the recording did justice to your playing. It's coming along great so keep it up.

Chasplaya

Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:48 am

Good work on a tough song , You've already had some good comments from d_dog and others about left hand and also the sound was an issue, I had to crank up my volume (note to self remember to turn it back down)

I would suggest you look at your actual sitting position, you may be comfortable but i don't think you look it, check out Neils posture and the way he holds the guitar that is for good reason and good ergonomics. Plus I can't be certain but resting your right pinky on the soundboard may be part of the issue with the sound you have noted yourself. Neil doesn't recommend resting on the soundboard (well he has for some songs but not this one)

I fully understand the errors creeping in when the camera is on, I think a few of us have discovered that challenge. Answer leave the camera on more often even just for practice so you get used to the fact its there.

Anyway good job and good on ya, you must have a good memory, I'm not sure I could remember all that one yet.

regards

Chas

michelew

Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:50 am

Tom - that was phenomenal. I'm sure Neil can give you technical advice in addition to the great advice that others have already given you. But, I'm blown away by where you've gotten to already. Way to go on your first post. Hmmm...where to from here?

Great job. I'd love to see how it develops.

Michele

jayswett

Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:51 am

Wow. That looks like a tough song, yet you played it very well. I watched Neil's play through but quickly decided to pass on it as it would take waaaaaay too much time for me to learn that song. Nicely done.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic