wrench - bela's lullaby

wrench

Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:50 pm

I just stepped into a corridor of the musical galaxy I never thought about. This video is still a little rough but it is not about playing guitar at all. It is about making music.

About a week ago, my wife asked me if I could play on guitar a piano piece she heard in a movie. The piece is Bela's Lullaby by Carter Burwell, and is both the score and a featured song in the movie Twilight. I found the piano music and tab for two guitars and solo guitar. I also found some YouTube solo guitar performances of the song, which very closely reflected the piano piece. My compliments to those players.

I had two problems with the song. First, I don't fingerpick yet, and second, I honestly thought the piano piece could have a little more body to it. So I started changing the music to accommodate some chords ringing under the melody with some hybrid-picking.

Well, about twenty sheets of standard notation and TAB all full of pencil scribbles, I find the motivation to enter this version into music software, and further develop it by applying some Acoustic Genius. Guitar Pro plays better than I do anyway.

I've been trying for a year to make a girl cry with a guitar. It worked. Every girl in wrench's house is crying - to stop playing it.

I tried to incorporate Neil's suggestions into this song and they really helped me a lot to move it along.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Bud
http://www.totallyguitars.com/images/fb ... s/bela.zip

AcousticAl

Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:18 pm

Hi Dan,

I saw the title and thought- no way he's talking about that piece.
Reason I say that is I am the father of a 10 year old who is GAGA over all things Twilight. (Wife is as well to be honest!)

My daughter learned to play Bela's Lullaby on piano by ear. She played it for a concert at her music school. You're doing a great job with it.. and it is a great piece.. haunting actually.. in keeping with the movie theme I guess. I'll pm you to get the tab/music-- would be nice to surprise my girls with a rendition some day.

If I may, here's the link to the original song from the movie so others can see how close you're getting.

Looking forward to an update.. and thanks for posting this!!

neverfoundthetime

Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:32 pm

Totally unexpected piece Dan.... my daughter will be asking me to play this if she see this so I'm off, fast as I can! I think it's shaping up just fine!

takhak

Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:21 pm

Wrench,
your hard work on the guitar is paying huge dividends.
i really like the ones dedicated to loved ones.

MarkM

Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:41 pm

Dan,

I've got to say your guitar sounds great in this piece. Any special set up? I'm not familiar with this song although I'm sure my wife is. I thought that it was very good. I like the double picking with your pick and your middle finger. Well done with that.

MarkM

willem

Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:37 am

Hi Dan, there you go make woman cry with a instrumental ballad,,what a challenge. i think you did very good,,did you play it from the tab you mentiond,,otherwise you must maybe add more pickin to it(just a thought after listen to the piano piece),

I think also,when i look to your guitar playing everytime that you gonna be a very nice player and looking with plaeser forward to that..wish you all the best...don't stop crying..

izzyhara

Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:25 am

That was so beautiful. I have FOUR daughters - one of which is a total Twilight geek. She would love this, I am sure. My favorite personal challenge is to hear a song, and figure it out from just the sounds. I am lazier now than I used to be and will go searching for the tab, or video of someone doing it, like you did. I think someone mentioned it earlier in the thread, but it seems like we put more feeling into those songs that we learn for the people we love. At least they are asking you to learn something, instead of asking you "could you play some other time or somewhere else?" :laugh:

wrench

Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:23 pm

That must have been a little startling to see Santa Claus playing a girlie song - but I made girls cry with this! YEAH! But the really cool part for me is actually adding and changing musical elements of my choosing, and having it sound OK. I'm also anxious to work with it more in the software.

Al - You must be so proud of your daughter. I grew up with a piano prodigy classmate, and to this day I am in awe of how magnificent a performer she was. Even as a child, I could sense her parents' pride. When I get this into a GP file, I'll send you a copy.

Chris - Remember that little row you had with Ale to sing in your video? Payback time, brother.

Takhak, Willem, and Izzy - Thank you. The entire purpose of playing guitar is for my family.

MarkM - Thank you, and tech-wise, my setup is low-end. A webcam and a $25 Radio shack external mic plugged directly into the computer. The guitar? Well, it's low end too; a Yamaha FG730S, and I will say it does NOT sound like it did when it was new. You see, wrench has had a little time on his hands lately........Setup would be an understatement. I did things to this guitar that I'm sure have been never been done before. And I think it really improved the clarity and sustain of the guitar, and the harmonics are stronger than anything I ever played.

tovo

Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:43 pm

Dan the man! That was cool. I listed intently and enjoyed it very much. Great work. One you get fully comfortable with it (it sounds great now) it will be a great piece for you.

Lavallee

Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:09 pm

Dan It is great that you found the melody and put it together. Great for the confidence.

It reminds me of this Stephen King book I bought at the airport. His stories are always slow to start. So I am half the book and the vampire is kissing the girl, then more love stuff. I said what is going on here? Then, only then, I noticed that the author was not Stephen King, but Twilight.

Marc

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic