SAD SONGS & WALTZES (DennisG)

dennisg

Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:17 pm

Why I chose this song: I've been a huge fan of the '90s alt band Cake for many, many years, and I consider their "Fashion Nugget" CD to be one of my desert island albums. On that CD is a fascinating cover of the Willie Nelson song "Sad Songs & Waltzes."

Why I'd post a country music song when I don't like country music: Before you dismiss this as just a country music song, keep in mind that no Willie Nelson song is easily categorized. He is, after all, the guy who wrote what may prove to be one of the great crossover songs in music history: "Crazy," made gloriously famous by Patsy Cline. I'm not a country music fan at all, so I had the advantage of first hearing Cake's wonderful version of "Sad Songs." They were attracted to it because it puts a wry twist on the usual country music theme of a guy losing his gal. In this song, the guy gets pissed off and decides to do something about it: he writes a song about what a bitch she is, makes a record, then realizes that no one will buy his record because sad songs and waltzes aren't selling this year. That means, despite his best efforts, no one will learn how rotten this woman has been to him.

I've since listened to Willie's version of this song, and while I like it very much, I really enjoy Cake's unique arrangement, complete with staccato guitar and harmonizing trumpet.

I downloaded the tab to this song shortly after I joined TG in October, tried to play it, and was completely overmatched by it. So I set it aside until a couple of weeks ago. Maybe because I've been playing so much lately, I found the song much easier to learn this time around.

It's a song I always knew lent itself to being played on an electric guitar. Unfortunately, I'm still using my little acoustic amp.

The challenge: This was one of the more challenging songs to sing, given that the lyrics sometimes fit sideways inside the plucked notes.

tovo

Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:37 pm

I've been so looking forward to this from you Dennis and you didn't disappoint. Absolutely wonderful. I had a hard time focusing the first time as I drooled over your new Taylor, wow what a beauty!! Can't wait to hear it through a good amp. But back to this song, it's just great. You have a terrific ability to pick songs that match your very good voice and deliver them in a confident, professional manner. I'm a bit blown away to be honest I thought it was one of the best things I've seen on TG. I SO look forward to playing with you.

- Tony

michelew

Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:48 pm

Dennis - that was fabulous!!! I love your kooky taste in songs. Or should I say ability to find quirky, fun songs that aren't very well known and deserve a lot more attention. Willie has some beauties doesn't he.

Well as always you're quite the professional showman. I really enjoyed it. Your playing was really good and your singing was great. There are obviously bits where you need to perfect your muscle memory - I'm assuming that performance anxiety and tension crept in there. Some of that is probably due to you being less familiar with the new electric (WOW - gorgeous) than your acoustic. But, overall a well played, fun country song, that isn't a country song.

I was beginning to wonder when you were going to post something else.

You made my morning.

Thanks

Michele

MarkM

Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:55 pm

Well it looks like the folks down under get to see this from Youtube first. :) :) We up here in New Englad are patiently waiting.............. :)

MarkM

tovo

Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:56 pm

MarkM wrote:
Well it looks like the folks down under get to see this from Youtube first. :) :) We up here in New Englad are patiently waiting.............. :)

MarkM
Well that makes sense. I was wondering why so many people were looking at only Michele and I had commented. I can say with certainty Mark that it is well worth the wait.

Craig

Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:35 pm

Dennis,
That was great! You really do have a nice voice. I think it's great that you have improved so much in a short ammount of time that you can play a song that you found difficult not too long ago! I am familiar with that Willie song and thought you did it justice.
Craig

BobR

Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:41 pm

Dennis,

I must say I look forward to your uploads and I like the way you always describe what's about to happen. I think you did a terrific job. Not something I'm familiar with though. I'd also like to say really nice guitar.

Bob

RicksPick

Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:50 pm

Hi Dennis

Had to wait 1hr 30 (refresh,refresh, refresh)but so worth it.
Nice

RicksPick

neverfoundthetime

Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:08 pm

Dennis, that is possibly the worst song I have ever heard! I listened to the original and that was even worse. So you did a great job! Very entertaining video! :side:

Music Junkie

Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:25 pm

Very nice job Dennis. I am surprised to find that you know of this band. Not too many people do. I have a couple of their albums (Prolonging the Magic, and Fashion Nugget). I enjoyed their cover of this song, as well as their cover of "I Will Survive". They are certainly a quirky band. Along the lines of Bare Naked Ladies and They Might Be Giants.

I think you did a darn good rendition, and like Tony mentioned, it WAS hard to keep my eyes off of the new axe. Quite beautiful. Thanks for sharing this clip with us.

Jason

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic