SAD SONGS & WALTZES (DennisG)

rapsidy

Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:14 am

Hi Dennis just like to say i enjoyed the song, you play & sing great :)

awesome job :woohoo:

neverfoundthetime

Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:16 am

Chris: Had a rough night's sleep, eh, Chris? /// No special settings on my Kodak. It's set up for artificial light. Oddly, though, when I turned on the lamp I normally use, it was creating a hum in my amp, so I shut if off and did the video with natural daylight, forgetting that the camera was still set up for artificial light. Go figure.
:) I slept like a baby Dennis! But I thought I'd better make sure my joky style was understood to be aimed at the song not at the performer and the performance! Your performances are always fun. At first I wasn't sure if you were kidding us as the song sounded so "quirky" as Michele put it. Then I checked Cake and actually liked your version better.

The lighting setting seemed just right to me, thanks for the gen.

izzyhara

Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:31 am

I love you Dennis. And as someone else said, it's so fun that people pick quirky songs and we all aren't just drones doing Neil's lessons. Love your voice.... I still haven't jumped on the electric guitar bandwagon but I must say, it is a beauty. Keep working on that one and thanks for the big smile. I love country music - not exclusively of course. But ole Willie is pretty amazing. I haven't heard Cake's version - think I will just stick the Dennis's version. Izzy

reiver

Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:48 am

Dennis - another top notch performance, just like we've come to expect from you. Never predictable, always entertaining. Like most of the others I hadn't heard this song before but I thought you did a great job on it vocally. As a solely acoustic guitarist I'd probably have liked to hear it on the 814 but that is a minor quibble and didn't detract from my admiration for the standard of your playing. Congratulations.

Chasplaya

Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:45 pm

HI Dennis,

Its not an antipodean change of power, this took me an age to download and view. Anyway, its not a song i've heard before and as its not on the TARGET programme I have no base to work from, You Tube wasn't flash last night either so that will need to wait. However, I would be intrigued to know how you find the transition from acoustic to electric. That is a fine guitar and will sound even better when you get an amp to match its style.

Despite not knowing the song you obviously put in quite an effort as your performance was very good. Beautiful guitar mate, would be nice to hear some BB King Blues on it.

dennisg

Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:06 am

Rapsidy: Thanks very much.

Izzy: Haha! I love you too. Do you think we should tell our spouses about this affair -- or just keep it between you, me, and the 230 people who've read this thread?

Reiver: I swear, being unpredictable really isn't part of my consideration when choosing a song. I just pick a song I like that lends itself to guitar playing and will somehow stretch me musically. Those are my only three considerations. I very much appreciate your comment that the performances are always entertaining. I wish I could watch them and feel that way.

Chas: Part of the reason I chose a Taylor electric was because I wanted a similar feel to my Taylor acoustic. I got that. What surprised me was feeling like the electric was always out of tune, and on the first day I was constantly fiddling with it and feeling frustrated. Then I discovered that the guitar isn't out of tune at all -- it's just that the strings are so easy to bend, I was applying too much upward pressure with my fretting hand, accidentally bending the notes out of tune. I was never aware of my tendency to do this while playing my acoustic because it's much harder to bend the strings. So the electric requires a bit more careful hand positioning. I was also surprised by how heavy the electric is, which only makes sense when you think about it. Its weight lends itself to being played standing up, which is both good practice and much better for singing.

reiver

Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:44 am

I suppose if you set out to be unpredictable then that would become a little bit predictable!

dekotaj

Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:25 am

Bravo!! Dennis

Have not heard of the band Cake,But I'm a big Willie fan.Really enjoyed watching you play and sing.Cant wait to see whats next.The guitar, that's not a t5 is it?What every it is,it is one beautiful guitar!

Kevin

PS You made it look like a piece of CAKE. :laugh: :laugh:

willem

Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:26 pm

Like Kevin said ''piece of cake'',, not for me!!! i enjoyed it very much..thanks..

ps now we get cake lessons..well some..

dennisg

Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:57 am

Reiver: There's going to come a time when the only way I can resume being unpredictable is to choose predictable songs. But I wouldn't predict that.

Kevin: Thanks much. I can see why you might think the guitar is a T5, since they look alike. But it's a T3.

Willem: I will be the most shocked person in the world if Neil decides to do a lesson on a Cake song.

Hasben: It would actually be worth taking fiddle lessons if it would set you to dancing. I'd pay to see that.

Smips: Pretty sure I had the humbuckers working.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic