'Have to Say I Love You' by AcousticAl

AcousticAl

Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:45 pm

It's been a while since I've posted a vid. Mainly because I haven't been able to practice as much as when I was essentially unemployed! :unsure:

Here's my work in progress of 'I'll Have to Say I Love You in a Song'.

Difficulties for me:
-tough changes from open chords to barres
-tough fingerpicking in places
-singing along (which I'm not ready to share yet- sorry)

One thing I'm disappointed in- my right hand position. I just commented on someone else's video about Neil's advice re. 'the thumb moving more towards the guitar neck'-- but mine isn't. How long have I been working on that?!

Anyways, your comments please...

willem

Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:57 pm

Al, i have to say you were all employed on that beautyfull song,,the song came a long,,

all the other advise you get in a expert respons by the man...well i think...sure??

jayswett

Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:05 pm

Looks like it's still processing. I'll be back...

dennisg

Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:38 pm

Just beautiful, Al. Yeah, you're right that there was a little trouble initiating the barre chords, and a couple of them were buzzy -- but nothing you can't easily overcome. That long pinky stretch you make is very impressive.

tovo

Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:41 pm

It seems to me Al you have it down cold, it's just the flow that needs further work and that as you well know is just repetition from here. It's a nice song.

jayswett

Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:56 pm

Almost perfect. You hit that diminished chord easily, and the end of the verse with that D, pull-off, descending base thing was almost spot-on. The picking pattern, which is clearly different than the normal alternating base sort of thing, sounded just right. I'm glad you are busy at work, but I must say that I do miss your vids.

dekotaj

Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:02 pm

BRAVO!!BRAVO!!

Hey Al,Great job on a great song.In fact I like the way Neils got the song layed out.Sounds fantastic.Cant wait to hear you sing it.Keep up the good work.

Kevin

wrench

Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:31 pm

That's going to be a really nice piece Al. It's great now, but I am really looking forward to the finished product.

I am a big fan of training aids. To practice your thumb positioning, consider unplugging the guitar and use a thumbpick briefly to force your thumb parallel to the strings. If that shows promise, gradually cut the tip shorter and shorter to get the thumb closer, but still parallel, to the strings.

Great Job! Pizza Points!

Dan

michelew

Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:39 pm

That was really beautiful Al! You're sooooo close to having this completely nailed. I'm sure you'll be happier once you've had a chance to incorporate any advice that Neil has.

I really love it.

Michele

Craig

Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:18 pm

Nice job Al. I've been working on that song myself so I feel your pain in the open to barre chord changes. I usually buzz the first note going from the dim chord to the C#7. So overall I would say nice job! Did you practice the intro as well with the Dm - E7 4th measure? Just curious. Thanks,
Craig

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic