STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN WITH MXL 990 USB MIC

buddy

Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:34 am

I have always really enjoyed this song and and I wanted to test the MXL 990 USB Mic I picked up today. Any suggestions on either the song or the mic would be appreciated.

Also, I hope everyone has a great Easter.

Bud

Lavallee

Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:23 am

Hi Buddy, nice work on Stairway to Heaven. You have a good rhtyhm especially in the middle section with the Am to D where you increase the speed as you should at each time you do it.

Unless this is the fingerpicking order you want to play the intro and the next section, there seem to be some difference with the order it is coming down.

You hit a double bass note when changing chords where I think it should only be one.

The string order is quite different in the bridge where there seem to be quite to many notes.

I would also suggest to use the invisible pick when you strum up the fret board in the middle section instead of keeping your thumb against the fat E string and strumming by opening and closing your hand as it gives a bit of staccato effect.

I hope you won`t mind the comments but I have refresh the song recently following the Target lesson and it is quite fresh in my memory. To see what I mean, of the comments above, you should try to follow Neil' s metronome section of the lesson. It was very inspiring to me anyway.

If you are interested I have the last strumming section which was not part of the lesson in Guitar Pro or PDF.

BTW, the microphone sounds real nice

Keep up the good work
Marc

willem

Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:39 am

Hello Buddy,, for me this was very impressive,,and i like the sound that you try to make with your new mic because its more naturel than pluggin,,when somebody can play naturel good and then it can be inplugged good,,there was a little noise on the recording when you can get that a way (i don't know how).then it was super...thanks..

tom18

Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:05 am

Buddy,
Congratulations, very well played. I'll be looking forward to Neil's response but I think you're pretty much there.
Tom

mark

Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:31 am

In the main it is well played.

As Marc pointed out you are playing a double bass note in the intro which should be another melody nore instead. It is such a well know piece of music that is stands out if something is not right.

Also there is a timing problem with the bass run which leads back into the intro.

I think you are learning so many new songs that there is a danger that you will end up with a vast number of songs that you can play, but they will all be played at the same standard. It may be worth your while picking a few songs and really working on them to get them down really well. Sometimes there is a great deal of work taking a song from a stage where you can just about get through it to where it is a finished product.

dekotaj

Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:05 am

Buddy,Happy Easter Week to you to sir.Good start on a song that I have not got to yet.But a song I've got to learn someday.I'm sure Neil will help you with this song.Good luck with it.

Kevin

buddy

Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:11 pm

Marc,

Thanks for pointing out the finger picking order and other issues. As soon as I went back and listened to the play through again I could see exactly what you were mentioning. I would also like the PDF of the strumming section if you would not mind PMing it to me.

Your feedback is always appreciated so please don't hesitate at all because those are the specific things I am looking for help on.

Thanks Again,

Bud

buddy

Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:21 pm

Mark,

Danger, I laugh at danger :-) In all seriousness, thanks for your comments and the helpful spirit that they were intended in because I know you had my best interest at heart in posting them. I appreciate what you mean about getting the last 10% or so of a song down really well, as that is the most difficult part to perfect after you have the basics of it down. The detailed comments and feedback I get here really help me to do that so that I can go back and work over the details I missed. I will take your suggestion to heart and thanks again.

Bud

buddy

Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:26 pm

Willem, Tom and Kevin,

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement as this has been a very challenging but also very fun song to work on. Since their are not many guitar players or groups to play with in the area I live, this sort of feedback really helps me out and is much appreciated

Bud

BobR

Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:18 pm

Hi Buddy,

Nice job and the mic sounds real clean. I don't have this song down at all, but it sounds like you're missing a few notes here and there. I know others pointed out a few things.

Overall sounds good to me. Keep it up and you're sure to get it right.

Bob

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic