STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN TAKE 2

buddy

Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:04 pm

I went back and tried to incorporate the previous suggestions on the first post of this song that I put up. Thanks to all who took the time to comment as I think it made a big difference for me.

Let me know what I missed or any other suggestions that come up.

Thanks,

Bud

As suggested below, I went back and played along with the original a few times and then replayed the song below. I think it helped quite a bit but let me know what you think for better or for worse.

Lavallee

Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:35 pm

Hi Bud , good improvement as the intro part is much closer and you have figured out the strumming chords at the end.

I think the bridge needs to be looked at. Right now you are using the same picking pattern as the intro (or similar) for each chord but you go faster. The pattern actually change for each chord (it is more the strings in sequence going toward the top or the bottom) giving a melody that could be describe as a roller coaster.

For the strumming part right after the bridge,I think you should give a try to the invisible pick just brushing the strings sounding silky. I saw your other videos and you certainly have no problem strumming. I think the reason you are strumming by opening and closing your hand is because you do not want it to be loud. That strumming should be a continuous movement of the hand just hitting the chord at the right moment.

I think Stairway is one of the greatest song in rock and I am glad that people are working on it.

Marc

snipe

Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:44 pm

Bud,
Here is my take. I think you have it down good. It needs some feeling. Try the pick after the intro and put your heart into it! Listen to jimie and you will get what im saying. I like what you are doing and cant wait to here your soul into this song!!
Mike

tovo

Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:54 pm

Hey Bud. I didn't see the first one and I won't bother going back, rather I'll just comment on this video. I agree with Mike, but what I like about this is that you are playing a bit slower and as a result being more accurate, rather than going quickly with more mistakes. That has been an issue for me, hence I recognise it and now think that slow and accurate in the first instance then bringing it up to speed is a better way to go than up to speed with loads of errors. Notwithstanding Marc's excellent advice on the bridge, I think you have taken the approach to slow down and improve accuracy and so well done.

willem

Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:12 am

Buddy, everytime i hear or see someone doing this song it inspires me to give it a go, i like what you doing here,,,first the acoustic sound you produce(not plugin) and second your practice after the advise givin on your first vid from this song,,your a hard worker(i think you have lot of time),,or you don't make the mistake that lot of us do(me include) to be all over the place and do half songs,,looking forward the the next..

dekotaj

Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:35 am

Hey Buddy,

Sound like the advice and practice or getting you closer.Might want to play-a-long with The original.Should help with timing and any other patterns your having trouble with.Good luck

Kevin

mark

Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:29 am

Great improvement in such a short time.

You've really taken onboard playing slowly and deliberately.

I think you will continue to progress quickly as you soak up all the suggestions given.

You are probably doing it already, but make sure you analyse your videos yourself as well.
It's a really good way of seeing or hearing what needs to improve.

waggis

Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:50 am

I have to agree with Kevin. Playing along with the sound track is particularly good for this song. In my opinion the song can be played "with or without" a plectrum, but of course you will get more volume using one.

David

buddy

Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:06 am

Thanks to all for the feedback and suggestions. I tried to incorporate them into the new video that I posted above.

Thanks Again,

Bud

Lavallee

Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:47 am

Wow buddy, very nice improvement, your rendering is much smoother, the strumming is improved 100%. As it was suggested above maybe to play along with Neil play through migth help for the timing, but this is coming along very well.

great work

Marc

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic