MarkM - Neil Young's Powderfinger

MarkM

Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:56 pm

Hello All. Well it had been a little while since I picked up the guitar for more than just a few minutes. I've been traveling a lot for work and then work just got too damn busy and stressful. Had some time yesterday to work on a song that I didn't want to be too complicated as I had been away from it for a while. So I picked Neil Young's Powderfinger from his 1975 Chrome Dreams (rust edition) album. I had it on the ipod and forgot how much I really like this version. I'm basing this video on that. Nothing fancy and pretty understated. This version didn't have all the fills that others do. I'd need Tony's new Les Paul for that :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: .

In this song I wanted to work on the transition from Neil's proper way of the G fingering to the Bm barre chord. It has taken me a while to get it down as I was much more used to the other way. Still not perfect but it works for the most part here. The playing is ok I suppose and the singing is ........hmmmmmmm....... well a work in progresss we'll say. Not sure if I wanted to go low or high on this and I kind of fell in the middle somewhere. I have no idea where the Appalachian accent came from.... :blink: :blink: :blink:

The guitar was recorded directly from the mic to the computer via Audacity and the video is off the Cannon HG21. I striped out the audio from the video and replaced it with the direct feed. Put it all together in Adobe Premiere Elements 8. I still don't have two mics so I had to put in the singing track in seperately.

As always I'm grateful for any comments or suggestions that you may have for me. Thanks.

MarkM

haoli25

Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:23 pm

Excellent Mark. I had not heard that song in such a long time. You have inspired me to give it a try too. By the way, you also did a great job of mixing everything together. A very clean sound and well balanced. Thanks for posting your video.

Bill Image

tovo

Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:31 pm

Wow Mark you sung that without moving your lips. Remarkable!

Seriously I always read your comments and wouldn't expect much if I didn't know your ability. Then you watch the video and as always it's good. Although I'm a big Neil Young fan, that's not one of my favorites but you did a good job of it to be sure. Thanks for posting it mate.

By the way, drop over and play the Les Paul any time. It's just a short hop!

thereshopeyet

Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:53 pm

Thanks

sws626

Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:03 pm

Hey Mark,

Nice job. It looks like you have the rhythm done really well and the chord transitions are much better than I would have expected from your introduction. The guitar is sounding nice too.

-Stuart

michelew

Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:17 pm

Mark,

I don't know the song, but I thought you played it beautifully. I agree that your guitar is sounding great too as Stuart mentioned.

MarkM

Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:58 pm

Thanks all.

Bill - Me neither. Usually I hear the electric version with Crazy Horse. I like the acoustic version just as much.

Tony - Thanks. If I drop over I may not leave. Watch what you wish for. Thanks for the comments.

therishopeyet - Still here. Thanks.

Stuart - Thank you

Michele - Thanks. Haven't heard from you in a while. I hope all is well. I'm enjoying my guitar more everyday.

MarkM

jayswett

Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:36 pm

It looks like you are having the same problem with audacity that I have had. What I mean is that when I lay a vocal track over the guitar piece, the two tracks are not quite aligned properly. Usually I find that the audio is slightly delayed relative to the video, so you have to cut a sliver out of the audio component in order to line up the two tracks properly. I agree that that song is a great one.

BobR

Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:57 pm

Mark,

Glad to see your back posting. You seemed pretty comfortable with the strumming and it sounded real good to me. I must say I had not heard that song before so I can't comment further. I'll have to go and find it.

Good Job
Bob

Lavallee

Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:34 pm

Hi Mark, nice posting. I am not familiar with the song but, as per your playing, it is a nice one.

Marc

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic