MarkM - Neil Young's Powderfinger

wrench

Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:17 pm

Another winner Mark. I never heard that song before, but I really like your work on it. Thanks for posting that for us.

Pizza. BTW, your guitar and mic combination sound great.

AcousticAl

Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:41 pm

good job, Mark.

Great strumming/timing and a nice touch on the strings.

And of course HUGE props for singing again. Something I haven't repeated since the contest.

MarkM

Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:02 pm

Jay - You know I didn't quite notice it before but you may be right. I'll see if I can tweak it a bit. Thanks.

Bob - Thanks. I couldn't quite get Neil's way of strumming on this as I haven't found a video he does in this key on acoustic. I think he normally plays this key on electric. After messing around with it for a while it seemed to work alright.

Marc - Thanks!! Now I just have to knuckle down and get enough courage to try someting a bit more elaborate like the stuff you have been playing lately.

Wrench - Thank you. I do like the combination as well.

Al - Thanks!! Easier done when I'm not doing both at the same time. Some day........

beaker

Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:51 pm

Mark,
Nice job with Powderfinger. I am not familiar with the version that you mentioned. I only know the electric version. Good for you for singing too. I will have to work up to that one. One thing I was thinking as I watched though, I was wondering if you have experimented with the strumming and mixing it up a bit, eg, go into a series of downstrokes (at verse end). But maybe with is just me refering to how I am hearing the song in my head from the electric version and it does not fit with the one that you have referenced here.

Once again, nice job,
Beaker.

rapsidy

Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:34 am

Hi Mark

You do play really well and produce good vids, I enjoy watching them, I dont know the song but you sounded very Bob Dylan esk to me in that song (Niel young can sing high cant he ) that was a compliment i hope :unsure: I understand what you mean about singing is a work in progress, i feel the same and just want to improve and I admire you for putting it out there as its the only way u can improve, which you are and i enjoyed listening to it. well done

I looked in the vocal coach section, i only found 3 lessons is there going to be more?

cheers
Brad

neverfoundthetime

Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:01 am

Lovely job Mark! You always do a great job on the playing with such a nice touch. Loved the singing without moving your lips! No way I can get most of NY songs right... only Heat of Gold so far. Sound quality was good. Syncing sounded ok audacity can be fiddly to get it exact.

pbraun

Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:01 am

Hey Mark great job, I never heard an acoustic version either, I will have to look. The Rust never Sleeps lp has some great stuff on it thanks for trying this one out!
Pete

dekotaj

Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:12 am

Bravo!!Mark,

Good job on the playing and the vocals.Great job mixing them together.

Nice to have you back.And that Taylor,You got that guitar sounding great!

Kevin

dennisg

Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:16 am

I think I must have stopped listening to Neil Young after the Harvest album, because I don't recognize that song at all -- but you did a great job with it, as always.

scotta

Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:24 am

Nice job Mark! I don't believe I've heard that song either but I enjoyed hearing your rendition. As others mentioned, that guitar sounds great! Kudos!
Scott

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic