Not so comfortably numb

rapsidy

Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:57 am

Hi Gang

Need some help with knowing where the chord changes happen and what you play in the middle and end of song.

Once again it is pretty RAW as camera nerves get the better of you its a strange thing that happens once the camera starts putting the pressure to perform on :(

All advice accepted and welcomed

thanks
Brad

sws626

Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:28 am

Hi Brad,

I have the same problem with camera nerves, but I thought you handled it well. It's also nice to get to know you through the recorded commentary (rather than just an introductory test).

I don't know this song well enough to make specific suggestions about chord changes. But I think it might help to play with the album and without singing until you feel you are hitting the changes on the mark and work out how you want the different sections to sound. Then I'd do it against a metronome until I could play it in my sleep. At least for me, trying to sing while learning a song invariably throws the rhythm off and I end up following the lyrics with my playing, rather than the other way around.

That said, I thought your singing captured the spirit of the song well. The strumming patterns you've chosen sounded best in the chorus. In the verse, it would have been nice to hear a bit more bass on the downbeats. But I haven't listened to this song for a very long time, so you'll probably want to take this suggestion with a grain of salt.

- Stuart

tovo

Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:35 am

Hey Brad. Gee your English accent is fading fast. You almost sound Australian!

Mate seriously there lurks a real good singing voice there. You should definitely pursue that. With the playing, I tend to agree with a couple of points Stuart made. It's kind of a progression. You need to be able to play the tune really well before you should worry about the singing in my opinion. The strumming for mine is a bit heavy, I think you mentioned that yourself. You need more work on the barres obviously and that affects the flow of the song particularly when singing. In terms of where the chord changes lie, go to www.chordie.com and find the song with chords (rather than tab) and you will probably find a version with the chords and lyrics showing you where to change. In terms of the fills etc, well perhaps Neil will post a response with some suggestions for fills and the intro/outro.

All that said, good job mate, I liked your effort and liked the fact that you explained the problems you are having. It's a good idea.

AndyT

Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:20 am

Hi Brad,

For many years, this was my all-time favorite song. I still love it, but for different reasons now.

Ok, some comments.

Loosen your grip on the pick. That will help fix the strumming.

You have a good voice, but your forcing it. I can hear the strain in your voice as you try and hit the higher notes. You also get louder when you do that and the combination is really messing you up.

Try and play the song to the original recording. You can find it in a number of YouTube videos. The song has a very haunting melody and your changes need to be very smooth and slightly ahead to make this one really work.

Don't sing for a bit and work it with a metronome as you play along with the original. That will allow you to count out the correct timing for all the different parts. Once you have the timing, you will really start to capture this song.

After you get all that down, then start to add the singing back in. Take your time on this because there are some strange notes you have to hit to keep the feel of the song. Some where you are screaming softly and some where you are almost whispering while yelling. Yeah, very contrary things in the singing.

Remember, this song is about a guy who has just lost his mind and has just entered a psychotic state where he becomes a power crazed dictator just to survive. It sways back and forth on the brink of sanity and thats how the music is supposed to flow as well.

Davids' guitar solo in this song was rated the number 3 greatest solo by 100 Rock musicians back in 2000 or 2001. The solo is where all the crazed elements of the music come together into a cohesive bluesy wail. Great stuff. Take you time with it. Its well worth everything you put into it.

You have a great start on this one. I'm really looking forward to your update on it.

AndyT

Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:42 am

Here is a stunning version that you can practice with.
The cellist is playing the 'see-saw' back and forth of Pink's emotional roller coaster while Bob Geldof (the guy that played Pink in the movie) sings a cameo. David plays acoustic and switches for the solos.

Neil,
The solos would be an awesome next lesson for Steve to do for us on the electric side!

mark

Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:25 am

Hi Brad

It looks warmer in your part of England than mine :laugh:

You asked about endings. The best thing is to try and make up something yourself.
I had to do this for praticaly everything I played, when I realised that they all just kind of ended abrutly.

A simple idea is just to slow down and end with a slow strum of the chord (in this case D because the song is in the key of D).

More generally there are many different things you can do.

Maybe steal something from the intro (if there is one)
Use part of the melody
Use a riff from somewhere in the song
Play something using a scale from the song

Most of these ideas probably wont suit Comfortably numb but you get the idea.
As long as it ends on something that sounds like it finishes the song (normally the note of the key the song is in).

When I was trying to make up ending for all the songs I played, I just tried to improvise an ending every time I played the song. You get a lot train wrecks that way but you actually end up teaching yourself quite a lot.

izzyhara

Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:32 am

The others made great comments, and of course, you will have Neil's recommendations. I love this song, and I think your voice is wonderful. It is a little choppy, but then you told us it was raw. Damn those barre chords, eh? Thanks for posting and sharing. Izzy

dekotaj

Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:57 am

Hey Brad,

All in all sounded real good,Like Stuart said Jam along with original.Best way to work on the chord changes and the timing in and out of them.Great song and a real good voice.Bravo!!

Kevin

beaker

Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:26 am

Brad, Overall good job, you have the barre chord going nicely, you have your other chords going well too. I read the other comments, and the suggestions made are good ones, in particlular, I think you will figure out when to make those chord changes if you play along with the song. The idea of using a metronome is also a really good one. Your strumming will improve in time, just keep doing what you are doing. Good job singing, I know that makes playing a lot harder, you did a good job with it.

Keep on strumming, Beaker.

haoli25

Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:28 am

WOW Brad, I thought that was an excellent. Your singing was just amazing, it was a pleasure to listen to. As you already know, the chord transitions will improve with practice, practice, practice. As for the rhythm and timing, using a metronome will help you immensely. And watching the PF performance will help you nail the vocal placements, just play along with it a few times. Your video was just first class and thank you for sharing it.

Bill Image

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic