Needle and the Damage Done - Stuart

michelew

Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:01 pm

Great job Stuart. It sounded like Neil playing to me; great picking, regular, smooth and spot on. Great job on the singing too. You've got a nice voice and now a cheer squad.

Nice work.

Michele

neverfoundthetime

Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:58 pm

Beautiful job Stuart! Very cleanly played and nice singing (Neil Young is not so easy to sing) so just crank up the volume next time so we can hear you better!
Oh, and thanks for this not being an introduction! ;-)

beaker

Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:34 pm

Stuart,
excellent job on Needle & the Damage done. You played it very cleanly and it sounded excellent with the pick. Great job singing too. I know some others said you sounded tentative, but that can happen when you are trying to sing and play at the same time. It is heard to concentrate on 2 things. Good job. Beaker.

izzyhara

Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:52 pm

I have always loved this song, and was in fact thinking about playing it. I remember it from a lifetime ago. Even though I never had a drug problem, I always liked the line "every junkie's like a setting sun". For some reason that struck me as a powerful way to say that. You did an awesome job, and have inspired me to resurrect my long lost ability to play it. Thanks for playing and singing for us. Izzy

Chasplaya

Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:02 am

Well played Stuart, nice picking and good tempo throughout, I also picked up on Willems comment re resting your elbow/forearm of your left arm on your leg, I think neil has said not a good idea in another post somewhere, restricts movement or something along those lines. Tentative singin, come on guys!! First time singin on TG I thought you did exceptionally well, of course you'd be nervous but you handled it very well.

rapsidy

Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:51 am

Is it just me? I could hardly hear it, i had volume up full on vid and comp? What I did hear sounded great though and i get envious of people who say only been practicing song a week a play like that.... :angry: oh those will be the days :unsure:

enjoyed it Stuart just wish it was louder

Brad

AcousticAl

Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:44 am

Really enjoyed that, Stuart. A favourite song of mine.
Your timing seemed spot-on. Your picking was really clean too-- very precise.

Good job on the singing too. Was tentative- but still nice to hear.

dennisg

Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:56 am

Beautiful, Stuart! Loved the guitar playing. For someone unaccustomed to flatpicking, I thought you did a great job on a demanding song. There were a couple of times I thought your singing got slightly out of tempo, a little rushed ahead of the guitar, but other than that, a solid first effort.

sws626

Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:27 am

Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much for your feedback. Some of you have pointed this out and I was surprised myself when watching the video to see how low I'd let the neck of the guitar slip, to the point of sometimes resting my left elbow on my leg. That's something I'll want to work on.

Although I've been playing this for a little bit less than two weeks, I've played nothing else in that time. This approach seems to work for me; but then after a week or so, I don't really want to ever hear the song again. It's also hard to keep a fresh repertoire that way. So I think I will need to start alternating between learning new and playing old songs. How do you guys cope with this problem?

I hadn't actually intended to sing along at all -- but with your encouragement, I'll try to belt it out next time. I don't know even the first thing about singing, so we'll see how that goes.

-Stuart

dekotaj

Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:05 am

Hey Stuart,

Bravo!!Really good job on the playing and singing.Like everyone else the singing was a little tentative.And I've said before the first cut is the deepest.So next time it will be a little easier.Good job,thank for the post.

Kevin

Maybe next time you could have Shiva join in.What a sweetheart.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic