Needle and the Damage Done - Stuart

sws626

Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:51 am

I've been working on this song off and on for about a week or two. Aside from the fact that it's a great tune, I chose it because I want to come to terms with playing with a pick. I've also been working more with a metronome. It's far from perfect, but that's why I'm posting it.

The video was done with a JVC recorder; audio is from the internal stereo mics of a Zoom H4n. Merged in AVS.

Apologies for not getting my right hand in the frame, but I don't have time to shoot it again.

I've also done something I never would have contemplated prior to joining TG -- I've recorded myself singing. Tie up your dogs!

-Stuart

[video][/video]

jayswett

Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:28 am

The guitar was very solid, and the singing was great although perhaps a bit tentative. Certainly not a sin given that this is your first attempt at posting a video of this sort, and I will be the first to acknowledge that I have the same problem. Very nice video all around.

BobR

Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:33 am

Stuart,

I just watched Neil Young do this last night from a concert from Glastonbury(spelling?). Anyway I thought you did it very well including the singing. Playing sounded real clean.

Bob

Lavallee

Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:12 pm

Hi Stuart, you did a fine job on the song, your playing sounds like the original and you have a good voice. You are picking very well. Noticed that you try to keep the palm away from the fret board and avoid the baseball grip. It seems to cause your wrist to bend a lot sometimes. It migth be because the way you hold the guitar where the fretboard is pointing down a little instead of sligthly up. But you migth know that already and be comfortable with it, as it does not affect your playing.

Marc

MarkM

Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:28 pm

Stuart,

I thought that was very very good. The pick is working out great for you. All the notes and the runs sounded very clean. I know what you mean about the singing. As Jay said, your voice sounded very good just a bit tentative. I completely understand that. Well done. The guitar sounded great as well. Thanks for posting.

MarkM

willem

Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:48 pm

Stuart,thanks for sharing,,when you learn this off and on in two weeks how would it sound after a copple of weeks further,,i found it very good playing,, i saw only one thing more then the others and want only ask you if you are comfort with your left elbow rest on your leg,,,i try often to anker the guitarbody against my body so the guitar is very still in moving away....great song,gonna look again at that lesson...cheeeeeeesee

tovo

Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:13 pm

Stuart I fully agree with Jay and others, real good playing particularly for only a week's work, damn I must be a slow study! Very nice and clean. The only issue with the singing has been pointed out, you sounded good so let us hear it.

Good job mate.

buddy

Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:54 pm

Stuart,

I thought that was great especially since you have only been working on it a couple weeks. Way to go on the vocals as well. I can't add to what has been said other than I would love to hear this gain once you are more comfortable with it and you let your voice loose.

Bud

scotta

Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:21 pm

Stuart,

Great job! You really played that well. I've been working on this song for awhile but haven't been able to smooth it out as well as you have. And no need to be tentative anymore, your voiced sounded fine. Keep it up!

Scott

haoli25

Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:22 pm

Great job Stuart. I really liked that video. I have now watched 3 times. As other have said your picking is very good...solid and clean. You have a very good voice, and once you increase your confidence in that voice and really belt it out, you will have HOMERUN!! I can't wait to see your next update. Thank you for posting your video.

Bill Image

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic