UPDATED MarkM - George Harrison's Run of the Mill Demo version - need help please

MarkM

Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:47 pm

Hello all. I was listening to this song last night and then went out to YouTube land and looked for some TAB. Slim pickings on both counts. I recently got the George Harrison Album "Beware of ABKCO" that Neil mentioned a few weeks ago plus a whole bunch more "rare" Beatles stuff. Anyway I don't really like to just throw up a video. Even at my best I'm fairly suspect. However I need some help with this one. This is a song for me that really grabs my heart and squeezes. I just love this song and the stripped demo version is great. I'll include that here as well. So I'm not sure if it should be capo'd at the 6th or 7th fret. I'm playing it on the 6th as that is what my ear is trying to tell me. I'm using chord shapes for G, Em, C, D and B7. I hope I have these right. As you see me try to explain I'm also trying to get the fill correctly. I'm using the 3rd string and the progression is (in frets) 2,2,0,4,2,0,4 then going into the C and then Em Chords. I tried to sing along as best I could for those of you who know the song. I didn't do anything fancy. It's just the camera picking up both audio and video. Any help would be appreciated.

Here is an unpdated version. I'm typing in Bold only to seperate this from the original post. I did some further work on this last night and agian today. What you will see is the run being played in the intro and the ending. I didn't put in in the song as I can't do it and sing at the same time yet. Also I added a few more hammerons that hopefully will make this sound a bit more like the original demo version. It's probably a bit slower though. Anyway I'm just hoping that I'm not learning this song incorrectly as it will be difficult to unlearn this and start over. Again thanks for you suggestions.

MarkM

ABKCO version

][/b]

pbraun

Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:50 pm

Mark,
I have listened to this version for along time, tried it a couple of times and just could not get it. You are on track, maybe a little softer and slower, at least to my ear. I think George hung around the 7th fret with the capo on many of his songs. Anyway I wish I could offer more, but as it is your posts always blow me away. I was just fooling with tears in heaven and then you post this! Now I might need to pull this one out again.
Pete

Lavallee

Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:52 pm

Hi Mark, you seemed to be capoed at the right place, it suits your voice well anyway. I am not sure about the fill as I am not familiar with the song to developped my ear on it. I would like to bring your attention on the strumming. When I listen to Georges` part, the strumming varied in intensity sometimes brushing when he almost whispers going to a more powerful strumming but still smooth when his voice takes a peak up. It is not that you do not strum well, on the contrary, but it is more a regular emphasis on the first beat and regular strum on the 3 other ones. I can see and hear that you a vary on the intensity a bit, but I think the gradient in intensity variation should be greater following the voice.

Marc

MarkM

Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:08 am

Pete - Thanks for the kind words. This one's really a work in progress. I suppose that I'm happy I got this far in a day. I agree that parts need to be softer. When I get my second mic and practice a bit more this should be much better I hope. I think I got the fill working better now. Spent another hour after dinner practicing. Working on a little slide in there as well.

Marc - Thanks. Yeah I think the 6th fret is correct as well. I agree that I need to adjust my strumming an soften it up durring the 3 main sections and then let it ring out more during the B7 section. Watching it back now and listening some more I missed a few hammerons as well. Tomorrow looks to be slow again so I'll get another crack at this. Just really wanted to make sure that I wasn't learning this song with the wrong chords and notes.

MarkM

jayswett

Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:38 am

Your voice is remarkably similar to George Harrison's. Never heard the song before, but your version sounds true to the demo version for the most part.

MarkM

Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:02 pm

Bump for updated version. Thanks.

BobR

Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:55 pm

Mark,

Not a song I am familiar with. It sounds like your on the right track though. Thanks for posting George's version so I could compare. Your voice sounds pretty close also. Thnaks for the post.

good job,

Bob

tovo

Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:13 pm

Mark. I don't know the tune (sometimes I feel like I must have been living under a rock for years) so I can't comment on your accuracy, but I wanted to comment on how quickly your voice is improving. Seriously dude, you have gone from a very tentative toe in the water to looking quite comfortable with it (and it sounds good as well by the way) in a very short space of time. A real good example for showing what a confident approach can achieve.

Thanks for the look.

thereshopeyet

Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:13 pm

Thanks

MarkM

Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:46 pm

Thanks all. This song has been so much fun learning even though I don't look like it. It's been very gratifying as well.

Jay/Bob - Thanks!! Not many people know much of Harrison's songs from his post Beatle days which is a shame. If you don't have All Things Must Pass I highly recommend it. I'm not sure how close my voice is on this but thanks.

Tony - Thank you!! I'm still experimenting with what I can get away with singing wise. I think I've lost most of the fear. At least in front of the camera.... alone.....in the house....by myself. :laugh: :laugh: For me the trick is to find a song that I really enjoy and don't have to go to out there like I did on some others that were complete duds. Long drives in the car heading to meetings certainly help as well. I'm always awesome in the car. :huh: :laugh: :huh: :laugh: :laugh:

Thereishopeyet - Thank you for the kind words. Yes they are great songs that is for sure. I just got lucky with the whole learning by ear thing.

MarkM

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic