TOVO - Short solo

tovo

Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:10 pm

Not sure which skill needs more work, my playing or my sense of humor. Probably equally bad. Anyway, I've been working on the 1st solo from Layla. I'm putting it up to show my progress with it, and to ask for suggestions on how I can improve the fluency and timing. I think the answer is to play it a few thousand more times. My long term project is to have the entire number down. That may take some time, but here is my start. Any suggestions most welcome.

Oh by the way, I am at home caring for my boys while they are on school holidays. I had to take myself into the bedroom to avoid the noise and couldn't be tossed setting up my camera, so I did it on webcam. Not great quality but not that important.

(I just posted an edit with the video flipped the right way around)

MarkM

Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:22 pm

Tony my man. My head is spinning with all of those notes. I don't know what to do unless I'm hitting at least 4 strings. :laugh: :laugh:

Seriously good job. 95% of the notes were crystal clear which is great. It's all about the timing and the feel. At least that is what I'm telling myself on the other stuff. I'm sure you'll get this with more pratice. You already know that though. Awesome job.

I'm waiting for the Les Paul man................ :angry: :laugh: :laugh:

MarkM

dekotaj

Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:02 pm

Hey Tony,

Great job.I don't know how to do what i am going to suggest.But for timing you might try recording the part the solo goes over.And then play to that.Or maybe you can find a backing track and play to that.Darn fine start Tony,BRAVO!!!

Kevin

TGMatt

Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:29 pm

Bravo Tony

suziko

Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:29 pm

I wish I had some suggestions, Tony, but I really don't. Soloing is not in the near future for me! STill, I always enjoy seeing videos from you and it's fun to watch the "in progress" videos especially. Seems like you've got the nuts and bolts of the solo down. Just need to, as you said, play it a few zillion times more!

Suzi

thereshopeyet

Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:33 pm

Thanks

haoli25

Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:40 pm

WOW Tony. Great job. I had to laugh, it doesn't seem like it was that many months ago when you said 'my fingers don't work like that'. I guess they do now. Congratulations my friend.

Bill Image

tovo

Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:15 pm

Thanks very much for the comments. As Kevin noticed, the video is back the front, doesn't really matter. I'd like to say I can play left handed when I choose to but that's a lie! Kevin I have a backing track and with it essentially down now I will start to use it. Thanks.

Mark, the Les Paul will come mate. Thanks for commenting.

I look better green eh! How very rude! :-)

Bill I figure with enough practice it can be done. Just need to work on feel and flow...feel and flow.

Suzi if you are saying you aren't focused on soloing yet that's cool. If you are saying you can't..then you're wrong. You have more than enough skill.

Thanks for commenting Matt.

rapsidy

Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:30 pm

I m no expert Tovo but i think if you played the guitar the right way around it might make it easier :)

BigBear

Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:33 pm

Tony- Nice job! Great sound however you recorded it.

Only suggestion is to work on timing and spacing. Remember, Clapton grew up on the blues so his licks almost always have that blues feel with bends and vibrato (which you did well). And with the blues, all notes in a lead don't have the same weight.

I haven't tried this lead yet so I don't have much more to add except to say that I liked it a lot!

Cheers! :cheer:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic