TOVO - Short solo

michelew

Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:42 am

Tony (or big dude as I hear you're sometimes called), sorry for being late to the party again.

It sure sounds like the solo is coming along nicely to me. Sounds like you've invested a good amount of time.

You've received some good tips already. I echo the looping suggestions. You can do that with the program I suggested to you (using the original song) at whatever speed you need and as small a section as yo need. PM me if this is too cryptic.

THe Larrivee sounds beautiful. You make a nice couple.

Sweet post!

Michele

Music Junkie

Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:58 am

Tony:

Darn good job for diving into the solos realm....... B)

As mentioned already, I would listen to it over and over until you can see yourself playing it and feeling it. Not to push any products, but times like this are great for using the MicroBR. Plugging in your Gibson and slowing the solo down to about 80-85% and playing right over the top of it is very helpful (at least it is for me). Can be quite fun as well.

Keep up the good work. If the past proves ANYTHING, it is that you will work your ass off to get it right. Looking forward to seeing and hearing your progress.

Cheers!

Jason

jayswett

Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:54 am

You are well on your way with that, and I would think you might be soliting someone to play the background in order to post a collaboration vid. It would sound very nice,I'm sure. I've tried some lead playing and have found it to be rather difficult. The lead for Can't Find My Way Home, for example, doesn't sound too demanding, yet I made very little progress after a solid hour of work on it. It was frustrating. Seeing this video makes me want to take another crack at it.

BobR

Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:08 am

Tony,

You've already got plenty of really good suggestions so I will just say keep up the good work.

Bob

dekotaj

Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:10 am

Hey Tony,

Great job.Left handed and right handed. :laugh: :laugh:

Kevin

dennisg

Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:12 pm

That's a very impressive job on a tough little riff that's loaded with slides, hammers, pull-offs, and vibratos. It's amazing how far you've come as a guitarist in such a short time.

If you don't mind, I'll make the same comment about the guitar playing as I've made previously about various posts that included singing: think about phrasing. By that I mean to not think about this riff as a long string of 40 notes -- one that just follows the other -- but instead create some dynamics on specific notes. You can do this by inserting occasional pauses, playing specific notes louder than others, bunching some notes together, etc. All of that will come in time as you get more comfortable and relaxed with the piece.

izzyhara

Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:03 pm

Loved it. Can't do it myself (haven't tried) but impressed with you, as usual.

tovo

Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:09 pm

Jim thanks for the encouragement.

Al as I've said before you seem to pick up new stuff so easily, but I suspect there is a hell of a lot of work that goes into making things look easy. Thanks. If you run into Jean Larrivee thank him for me as well, I'm mightily impressed with his handiwork.

Michele, don't suck up to me now! lol. I will definitely take your suggestions aboard with regard to backing. I'm not sure what is required but I will chat to you about it.

MJ thanks man. When I hear 'Micro' I tend to switch off, if I want endless hours of frustration I will buy a rubix cube. Seriously I know these products operate on Mac so I guess it's time to check them out. I do have a very useful DVD that has backing tracks for 10 or so Clapton tunes.

Jay I've watched the 'human metronome' doing landslide and others and I can't help but think you would kick ass on any solo you put your mind to.

Bob thanks. I appreciate that people take the time to write a few words of encouragement. Means a lot and keeps me motivated.

Den you are spot on. I hear clearly what you are saying. That is certainly the next step, to get the feel and the tempo down really well. To this point it's been just getting the sequence of notes. I watch it back and the vibrato could have been much stronger, the slides cleaner etc. From here it's just more practice with it, same as the intro and chords. I haven't started the main solo yet but all in good time! Thanks.

Sincerely, thanks to all who commented. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your suggestions and words of support.

Music Junkie

Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:59 pm

tovo wrote:
MJ thanks man. When I hear 'Micro' I tend to switch off, if I want endless hours of frustration I will buy a rubix cube. Seriously I know these products operate on Mac so I guess it's time to check them out. I do have a very useful DVD that has backing tracks for 10 or so Clapton tunes.
Tony:

The MicroBR has nothing to do with computers (other than hooking up to them to put songs on it - really don't have to do that but rather just insert the SD card into a reader). It is a product put out by BOSS that allows you to play MP3's or WAV's and slow them down without changing the pitch. You can also record several tracks and mix them. It has built in effects, and some neat gadgets. Worth looking into if you have the time. Al has one as well, and he has messed with it a bit.

J

tovo

Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:02 pm

MJ thanks man. I'll check it out today. If Al has one I'm sold! lol.

I guess I'm just too eager to express my distaste for that other platform.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic