TOVO - Short solo

Lavallee

Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:35 pm

Hi Tony, picking like you are doing is certainly my greatest challenge (I have to spend 5 times more practice time for picking that I would do for weird chords changing)and I find that you are doing it very nicely. A little bit more practice and it will be done. I find it is great that you are tackling this aspect of the song and it is motivating me to spend more time on this. If I am bad at something I will sure procrastinate with the exercises that needs to be done (jogging is another one :( )

Marc

mcfingers

Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:47 pm

Tony,
That's a great start. I think you already have the key to playing this well practice, practice and more practice over and over again. You are wise breaking it into small bits. I think you will greatly reduce any frustration by doing so. Good luck and I look forward to watching your progress as you work your way through it.

All the best,
Steve

tovo

Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:34 am

Brad it's only backward for you cause you're from England where everything is backward. (This seemingly rude comment is in fact evidence of the great love that we Australians have for the English....even ones who aren't)

Bear thanks as always my friend. I'll continue to work on the spacing and timing as you suggest and with greater familiarity I should be able to get more feel into it. The main solo is next. I pretty much have the intro and chords down, they just need more work. The Larrivee does sound good.

Marc I can't imagine you struggle with much on a guitar, but I also know you put in HEAPS of practice so I guess that makes it look easy! Thanks for commenting.

Steve thanks mate. Your comments are very welcome.

Chasplaya

Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:33 am

Doing a good job with that Tony, fingering is looking good and the notes sound correct, I suggest listening repeatedly to the solo and really get the feel for it and try and play along with it. I usually play it on GPro and use the simple loop function.

Certainly coming along nicely mate.

Chas

neverfoundthetime

Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:44 am

Nice job Tony, sounded like you are getting to grips with all those notes. As soloing is something I haven't attempted yet, you are a braver man than me and I can't give any technical tips. Looking forward to Neil's comments on it.

sws626

Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:59 am

Hi Tony,

Great start! Bravo for taking this on. I love to see these works in progress -- very inspiring.

The only suggestion I'd have -- and you should take this with a grain of salt since I haven't tried it myself -- is to capture the backing and solo for that section in GP or a midi file, slow it down to a comfortable tempo, and run it in an endless loop (first with and then without the solo) while you practice. That should give you a musical context and help to nail the relative timing of the notes without worrying yet about the speed. As Neil says, always practice in time.

Stuart

- I bet this would sound sweet on the Les Paul, too.

willem

Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:30 am

You got me on my knees,,know i know why you bought a Less Paul,,i liked what i see and hear,,also the responses from our members,,,of course it is a matter of time playing and teh bleusy slowhand feel,,,looking forward to your progress, I think your not green anymore,,choose a color...

tovo

Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:46 am

Thanks Chas, I know you're a huge Clapton fan so glad you think it's coming along.

Chris, not sure if Neil will comment on this short effort, but always happy to hear comments from our collective group which usually contain a few gems.

Stuart thanks for the comments. I felt quite comfortable with that speed, I didn't feel I was rushing, but agree the backing track will help nail the feel and the right tempo. Maybe I'll give it a go on the Les Paul also! Thanks for the encouragement.

Willem my friend, thanks. Real glad you liked it mate. Have you managed to track Anton down??

jim56

Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:53 am

Hey Tony,
I'm not familiar with that lead but your picking was nicely done. Looking forward to the rest of your piece.

Jim

AcousticAl

Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:22 am

Hey Tony- Nice work!
Very clean, no buzzed notes, good slides, hammers. Even a bit of vibrato in there.. You've been busy.

Looking forward to the whole thing!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic