Response to Bourree by Marc

TGNeil

Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:43 pm

Hi all,

This is my first take at Bourree. When the lesson was posted I had already memorized the first section but the second section is the challenging one. Tom has posted a version followed by Neil's comments which definetely applied to my playing as well. Since then I modified my playing to adapt (tried to) to them.

One of the comment was to alternate finger when hitting the same string, minimize the hand movement and to have a continuity in the middle of the phrase that have a bass line. Still not always alternate fingers and the last section is still difficult for me. I have been practicing with the metronome section from Neil' s lesson.

Just realize that being less confident with the second part, the intensity of the bass line weakens as the song progresses

Comments welcome

Marc

Lavallee

Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:17 pm

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond, I will definetely look at extending the base line by not rushing the chord changes by leaving the finger on the bass longer and , I will check for those wrong strings and back to slow pace to do that. Those points I am sure will make a big difference between playing it and playing right. I have been working on classical gas since you gave some hints to the others and myself, and I feel it made such a difference.

Thanks again

Marc

willem

Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:46 am

Great are these responses and i think everybody who works on this can do his profit with it..but must also say that when we did'nt have a vid up there was no respons,,thanks Marc and Neil..so now i must practice..

Lavallee

Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:12 am

Hi Willem, actually Tom Varga loaded a video of Bourree that Neil also gave a revue and I modified my playing based on the comments. So I think that there is a great benefit to post videos of a same song by different players and use the critics to improved our own interpretation.

I always have the concern that people will not post a video of a song because it was already made by somebody else. The main idea is not to present a show case for a song but to present our work to the teacher from which the other students can learn from

It is one thing to see Neil playing, but since he plays the song perfectly it is not as obvious to see our flaws. But when he points out something on a student's video, it is sometimes easier to relate to our need of improvement.

Marc

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic