TOVO - Father and Son

suziko

Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:31 am

Ok, now for my real comment:

I think you definitely lightened up your strum on this version and you are holding down the notes longer in the beginning riff, which is good. Could you improve both parts, sure, but this sounded a lot better to me. I know this song means a lot to you, so I'm sure it's something you will enjoy working on and improving over time.

I know this isn't a singing site, so I hate to focus too much time on your singing, but it did sound really nice for this song. I know you consciously decided to not try to jump an octave for the "son" part, which I think works fine for the song. It's different from the original, but I think it still works. That's the kind of thing that, if well done, sounds great. But if you're off, it's just going to sound weird. At least in my opinion.

One thing I always like about your videos is how much feeling you put into them. This one in particular. Very moving.

Thanks, Tony!

BigBear

Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:36 am

tovo wrote:
neverfoundthetime wrote:
...oh, and did I mention, you could have cut the video about 2 seconds earlier... check it out and you'll see what I mean! ;-)
Just making sure everything was in it's correct place Chris. What are you doing looking down there anyway?? :unsure:

Chris- I never would have caught that if you hadn't said something! That is hysterical! Part of being a great guitarist is making sure your "package" is always in the correct position! Sort of like hand position! :silly:

BigBear

Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:58 am

Tony- very nicely done! Some really great feedback too. I think Mark and Marc said what I was thinking best.

Your strumming has really improved especially your use of rest strokes. And your timing is so much better! This is your first video where I felt you really nailed the feel of the song.

That being said, you are really moving your right hand up and down a long way. This song is more subtle and requires a much lighter touch. Ask yourself this question, if you ever chose to pick out a melody note or two, could you do it with that much arm movement? Let the guitar make the sound, you make the music!

The little intro riff is giving you some problems. Try sliding into it a little more so you keep your timing. I really like the idea of practicing this riff very slowly until it becomes totally natural.

You are struggling a little with your left hand position. Try to get your thumb behind the neck as much as you can. It's a really tough habit to break I know.

Finally, you know I love your singing but on this one your voice was almost a low growl. On this song that's fine because Cat Stevens starts off singing the "Father" part really low. Then when he sings the "Son" part he goes much higher. I'm not sure you even sang the Son part but if you did it was all down in the low ranges.

Great song, great video, especially the finale! As you say, well done mate! :cheer:

dennisg

Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:00 pm

Tony,

Judging by the last few seconds of your video, I can see how difficult it is to get out of the habit of using that baseball grip.

tovo

Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:01 pm

I wonder if I will appear on CNN with a massive headline, reminiscent of Janet Jackson at the Superbowl. I can see the headline now "AUSSIE SAYS "IN YOUR FACE USA!"

Anyway, back to reality:

It's always my preference to make a reply to each person who took the time to comment. On this occasion I'm just going to make a couple of more general comments, I hope that doesn't appear rude. Suffice to say I appreciate everyone's time so much.

I get the weakness on the intro, I think first articulated by Mark. I'll continue to work on that to get it smoother. Most will be familiar with that weird phenomena where everything goes beautifully until the camera goes on. Some good advice from several of you on how to fix that, thanks.

With the singing, yeah my voice isn't great for high notes that's for sure. I'll experiment in future and see what I can do, but I did chose to sing it in the same key throughout. For some it apparently worked, for others not. That's cool.

I went to bed last night quite depressed. This song was one I so wanted to do justice. As I said in my initial comments I didn't feel I had. That said, the overwhelming positive nature of the comments with really well thought out advice has made me think perhaps I'm not as far away as I thought. Thanks sincerely.

TGMatt

Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:13 pm

tovo wrote:
I wonder if I will appear on CNN with a massive headline, reminiscent of Janet Jackson at the Superbowl. I can see the headline now "AUSSIE SAYS "IN YOUR FACE USA!"

Anyway, back to reality:

It's always my preference to make a reply to each person who took the time to comment. On this occasion I'm just going to make a couple of more general comments, I hope that doesn't appear rude. Suffice to say I appreciate everyone's time so much.

I get the weakness on the intro, I think first articulated by Mark. I'll continue to work on that to get it smoother. Most will be familiar with that weird phenomena where everything goes beautifully until the camera goes on. Some good advice from several of you on how to fix that, thanks.

With the singing, yeah my voice isn't great for high notes that's for sure. I'll experiment in future and see what I can do, but I did chose to sing it in the same key throughout. For some it apparently worked, for others not. That's cool.

I went to bed last night quite depressed. This song was one I so wanted to do justice. As I said in my initial comments I didn't feel I had. That said, the overwhelming positive nature of the comments with really well thought out advice has made me think perhaps I'm not as far away as I thought. Thanks sincerely.
As someone who has watched you join the site from day 1, become friends with a bunch of folk, post your first video , lead the charge on the first collaboration, buy two guitars , and generally just become an ICON here...I need to stop you in your tracks..

You have come so far, to continue the last few seconds of the video theme, this song was barely a twinkle in your eye when you landed ....now your singing and playing it at the same time...I mean c'mon TOny...it aint Idol where everyone is "entitled", your need to ease up a little on yourself, and revel in the fact you have created something..

And you have shared that creation with the world....it does not have to be perfect, will never be perfect..and that is ok..with you and me and the world..

In creation and sharing creation the journey and that experience is what really counts here...and what a bonus to have a bazillion, oh maybe dozens a least care enough to comment...

You are a front runner for the rest of us to try harder, to put ourselves out their, to expose ourselves (so to speak), and to recognize we have progressed...

Cheers and well done

tovo

Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:21 pm

Matt thanks for that sentiment. Much appreciated.

I am hard on myself I guess, that's the way I have always been.

Oh by the way, I have bought 5 guitars not 2! :laugh:

beaker

Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:17 pm

Tony, Wicked job on Father & Son. Your singing was excellent as well. I saw some others game a few great tips, I will just leave it at this.... Great Job! Beaker.

michelew

Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:27 pm

Tony,

You're performance was so expressive and heart felt - really powerful! You conveyed a massive amount of feeling in your playing and your singing. I think you did more than do it justice.

The work you've been doing really shows.

You should be proud of the performance you've delivered here. Sure there are things you can improve a bit, who ever posts a video thinking 'that was perfect'. And when you're ready to work on it a bit more you've got great advice here that you can do that with.

I loved it and am proud of you.

Great job!!!!!!

Michele

buddy

Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:14 pm

Tony,

What Matt said !!!!

Don't get down on yourself brother !!

Bud

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic