TOVO - Father and Son

Chasplaya

Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:38 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
...oh, and did I mention, you could have cut the video about 2 seconds earlier... check it out and you'll see what I mean! ;-)
Lol It looks as if Tony was checking something out....

Chasplaya

Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:53 pm

Waaay too late on the last few seconds response but hey never mind.

Now down to the actual song, very well sung in my opinion, liked it a lot. GUitar playing certainly coming along in leaps and bounds. You have a had a lot of comments about techniques so no need to go there from me, one observation which I do make is your actual position, it looks like you maybe need to sit straighter as this will help in reducing what appears to be a bit of tension in your playing from the left shoulder right through to your hand, look at Neils position somewhat different to yours. I have worked on this aspect myself and have found better position to be more relaxing. I know that your position comes from a 'need' to view the fretboard and watch what your doing there. But i'd bet if you sat up straight and played slowly and trusted your muscle memory to know where to go on the frets and place the chords you would be more relaxed and the strumming would improve outa sight. This worked for me so give it a go sit up hold the guitar further round in front of you, play something you are really familiar with and hear the difference.

As Matt kinda said go easy on yourself, its all good mate, 5 guitars eh! I have only bought one so can I use you as reference when I go guitar shopping! Jeez I went into my local guitar store yesterday to buy strings for the classical $46 bucks later and wow my Wife didn't get it at all, also looked at a wharfedale mic for singin... jeapers she really didn't get that...

So keep them coming mate you are a definite inspiration to oldies and newbies alike.

And you may have started the Hat trend but I don't think the last few seconds will catch on the same....

tovo

Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:00 pm

Well I have been referred to as 'Tiny' lately so it pays to check that everything is in order. Thanks Chas for the further tips as well.

Thanks Beaker for the kind words, Michele (you treasure) and Bud, I will keep my chin up mate don't worry!

I have spent a few hours this morning on a range of techniques raised as areas for improvement. Thanks to all who have offered suggestions I have figured out the following:

1. Working on reducing the range of movement in the strum and using much more wrist (thanks Den for the exercise you suggested) has a range of positive effects. Timing for the intro is much easier and the strumming becomes much more consistent.

2. The better hand position I get by concentrating on getting my thumb well behind the neck and getting back to that position after the D/F# means the easier it is to hit the DM7 cleanly.

I have practiced this song a lot, it's not lack of practice, just the right technique. With that, it becomes MUCH easier to get the right result.

I will work on these areas for a further week or so and then post an update. You guys have helped me enormously.

wammer

Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:00 pm

The really cool thing about this site is that we get to choose what song we would like to learn. In some cases you have to learn what the teacher has choosen.

Tony I can see you picked this song because you put your heart and soul into it and it shows. You cant get sick of practising a song you love.

Thanks for sharing

Tammy

izzyhara

Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:41 am

You are awesome dude !!! A few timing issues as mentioned by others. Voice is getting really strong and beautiful. Nice guitar. Coming along nicely. This song is so touching and is difficult to do because there should be such a demarcation between the son part and the father part - I sang along and it sounded really good. Thanks for posting. Izzy

tovo

Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:32 pm

Tammy, Izzy thanks very much. As I said yesterday, with the good advice I got I have been working to shorten the arc of my strum and use more wrist, and remembering to return to a good hand position after the thumb over, I am making progress in fixing the timing. I do love the song that's for sure.

rapsidy

Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:42 am

Tony

hey really enjoyed that, singing sounded great too, was looking forward to you jumpin up to the high bit, but you played it safe :angry:

hope next time you have a go ya mug :P

but seriously really enjoyed

Brad

tovo

Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:07 am

Hey thanks Brad. Given Cat is a countryman of yours, you should have a go as well.

Thanks for the comment mate.

reiver

Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:28 pm

Tony - I almost let this one get away.

Nice job on this - a song that obviously means a lot to you. You've already had a ton of good advice so I'm not going to add to it - but just keep on doing what you're doing. I always look forward to and enjoy these videos from you.

tovo

Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:01 pm

Hey Stuart thanks. Yes great advice and I'm working on applying it. Cheers mate.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic