TOVO - Father and Son

tovo

Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:12 am

This has been my main effort for more mornings than I care to count. I feel I will never really do the song the justice I would like, but I have worked hard enough to think it is worth posting. I got some great advice from some good friends I went to for help, and tried to take it on board. This is my (relatively) new Larrivee and it just booms. It's not plugged in here and it's very loud. I went to a much lighter pick than I have been using recently to try to get better balance between vocals and the strum. As always, comments and suggestions very welcome. Thanks for looking.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TargetStude ... QZ2ItNWGSA

d_dog

Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:43 am

Tony that's great man! I love this song, I've been working on it too. You did it very great justice. Nice strumming and you sang it great!

haoli25

Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:50 am

Beautiful song and Beautifully played. My only comment is 'Thank You' Tony for posting this video.

Bill Image

willem

Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:04 am

Tony man,you can really be proud and found it a pity that the last line was ''i have to go'',,i add you to my fouverites and use it has a refference,,great job,,great balans to between your Larrivee,(gonna look at some)and your singin,,love to way you watch sometimes to us to express your performance,,your a hard worker and looking happy forwards to your next....mate you done it....thanks..

mark

Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:14 am

Hi Tony

Nice guitar and you are getting a good tone out of it.
Singing is really good also.

The intro is giving you problems. You are not really in time. I think because you are searching for those single notes.
Try playing it really slowly until you can get it in time and can feel where the beats are.
Maybe loop it in guitar pro.

The only other slight problem is when you switch to the bar chords (Bm).
I think this is because of your left hand position having to move alot changing from the thumb over the neck to playing the bar.
This is really difficult to change. I know because I spent months and months trying to change my left hand position.
They way I started trying to do this was to try and get in better position when a bar chord was coming up. So on the chord before the bar chord try and move the thumb behind the neck and then you are in better position to make the change to the bar chord.

Trying to correct left hand position is really difficult. The first few times a tried it, I couldn't believe that anyone actually played like that and it felt like I'd never played before. The good news is that gradually over time it gets easier.
Just devote a little bit of time to it each time you play the guitar.

tovo

Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:52 am

Thanks Dog, Bill and WIllem. Appreciate your support always.

Mark thanks for those very useful comments mate. You're right it's not quite there, and I will pay more attention to getting my hand back to a good position after the thumb over. Also you are spot on, the Bm7 has caused me grief. It's just more practice, as always, and I'll keep your tips in mind as I do. Really appreciate your insights. Thanks.

neverfoundthetime

Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:13 am

That's a great song to be working on Tony and it's coming along just fine. Good phrasing on the singing. Maybe you can get one of your boys to sing the Son part? If you sing it alone, I know the jump up an octave on the Son's part is a challenge but maybe you can pull it off? I only feel able to give playing tips on songs I can play myself, and this is one of those so here are my comments.
You have the Neil G fingered fine, when I play the little riff at the start, I hammer on the index finger on string 2 fret 1, then play the C (on the 2nd string) and the G (on the 1st string) and then slide up 2 frets and play the riff with index on string 2 (fret 2), pinky on string 1 (fret 5). Basically you are holding the G in place as you slide up. This makes for a much smother playing of the riff. I know that you are playing it exactly as Neil shows, but maybe my suggestion could work for you.
If you can relax off on the attack of the strumming and be little easier and laid-back and slower, you'll find it all becomes smoother and easier to time. Avoid hitting the low strings too heavily on the strum. On the first beat of the strum of the G chord I just run my finger down the strings rather than hit them. Hope that made sense. It may help take off the rough edges. Have fun and hope you post the further development.
:-) Chris

neverfoundthetime

Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:16 am

...oh, and did I mention, you could have cut the video about 2 seconds earlier... check it out and you'll see what I mean! ;-)

stratman3

Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:29 am

Tovo,

nicely done, I love that song and your new guitar sounds great. Your vocals sounded excellent.
This is another song on my list to learn from one of my all time favorite albums. B)

tovo

Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:48 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:
...oh, and did I mention, you could have cut the video about 2 seconds earlier... check it out and you'll see what I mean! ;-)
Just making sure everything was in it's correct place Chris. What are you doing looking down there anyway?? :unsure:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic