MarkM - Finished George Harrison's Run of the Mill

MarkM

Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:03 pm

Well this was an interesting week. I got this song in my head and couldn't let it go. I have to thank all the folks that gave me suggestions on my earlier version. Between all of you and Neil, it really helped me bring the playing up a bit. All your pointers were great. I may still have a small timing issue as I believe it goes from 3/4 to 4/4 a few times within the song. I had recorded this song almost out habit and didn't bother singing as I was just practicing or going through the motions. It was my first go with this yesterday morning. I had it zoomed up on the guitar so that I could watch my hands closer up to catch any glaring mistakes. (it's how I've been learning these days) Anyway I liked the version but didn't sing along. (Probably why I liked it in the first place :laugh: :laugh: ) So today I just decided to try and sing along and get this out to post. The singing isn't very good so I hope it doesn't distract anyone. I'm still learning there. Thanks for your patience with me on this song. This forum is really the only audience I have so I look forward to the constructive recommendations.

I'll post the original with it again plus the lyrics for those who don't know the song.

Thanks,

MarkM

Updated the singing.

Everyone has choice
When to and not to raise their voices
Its you that decides
Which way will you turn
While feeling that our loves not your concern
Its you that decides

No one around you
Will carry the blame for you
No one around you
Will love you today and throw it all away
Tomorrow when you rise
Another day for you to realize me
Or send me down again

As the days stand up on end
Youve got me wondering how I lost your friendship
But I see it in your eyes

Though Im beside you
I cant carry the lame for you
I may decide to
Get out with your blessing
Where Ill carry on guessing

How high will you leap
Will you make enough for you to reap it?
Only youll arrive
At your own made end
With no one but yourself to be offended
Its you that decides

tovo

Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:22 pm

Mark, glad to be the first to comment (unless someone is madly typing away at this very moment). Boy that playing is great. Really strong picking of the individual notes and so fluid. I would like you to know that you have helped me a lot, as I have been discussing getting more wrist into my playing with Dennis and some other friends and we use your playing as an example of great technique in that regard. That's a big part of the value in this site.

I'm not qualified to give singing advice, just my opinion. I reckon you have all the components for a great singing voice. I think if you phrase cleverly, it will be great. Right now, trying to carry the tune right through, it becomes a bit strained. Your low notes are great I think. If you can work on breaking things up through phrasing I think it will be a big improvement. Like I said mate, I could be right off the mark (so to speak) but that's my idea on it. I don't want to hold back an opinion on how it can be improved for fear of people disagreeing.

Overall, love it.

Lavallee

Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:37 pm

Mark, I think it sounds perfect. I do not understand enough of the 3/4 and 4/4 to notice a variation. I find that it sounds like the original. You have put a lot of finesse in your strumming, varying the tone.

Just a great video

Marc

BobR

Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:40 pm

Mark,

Very nicely done. Sounds to me that you've really got it down since your first post.
I had never heard this song before. After listening to your version I listed to the original and then listened to yours again. I thought you did a terrific job. I also think your singing sounded really good. Maybe a couple rushed lyrics but not too bad IMHO :laugh: .

I am finding out that there are so many songs I have not heard, thanks for posting.
Bob

cosmicmechanic

Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:21 pm

Mark, this is a great effort, well played ... your singing has its rightful place and is obviously becoming more even as you gain confidence.

I've put a bit of time into tinkering with the tune since seeing your first try and Neil's response.

I wonder, are you considering adding an intro like the version in the "All things must pass" album?

Pierre

pbraun

Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:55 pm

Mark,
Wow that was excellent. very smooth, great voice as well. I know it took some work but man you nailed it. And by the way a really good song choice- as they wuld say on Idol! You should be very proud, it is a great addition to the student video upload section, I will refer back to it often.
Pete

pbraun

Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:56 pm

Mark,
Wow that was excellent. very smooth, great voice as well. I know it took some work but man you nailed it. And by the way a really good song choice- as they wuld say on Idol! You should be very proud, it is a great addition to the student video upload section, I will refer back to it often.
Pete

haoli25

Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:22 pm

"Nothing But Net, Mark!" I really enjoyed listening to both the playing and the singing. Excellent job. Thanks for posting your video.

Bill Image

buddy

Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:03 pm

Mark,

Wow you really made some progress on this. It was neat to see you relax into the playing an singing. Keep up the good work.

Bud

AcousticAl

Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:21 pm

Hey there Mark,

I listened to your version- then George's version.
With a little quicker tempo, you could swap your playing for his. It was that solid.
Another great effort on singing as well.

Thanks for sharing.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic