MarkM - Finished George Harrison's Run of the Mill

MarkM

Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:33 pm

Thanks All.

Tony - Thanks!!!! I'm glad the videos show something that you can use. I'm not sure when I finally got to shortening up my strum but I think it had a lot to do with picking individual notes while I strum. I needed to be more economical with the range of the strum in order to hit those individual strings when needed. From there it just carried over to the rest of my playing. I was a pretty big strummer at one time so I know what you are going through. Once you shorten it up a bit and extend less energy nothing will be able to stop you. As far as the singing goes, well I'm simply lost and just trying to muddle through it.

Marc - Thank you. Yes it was a bit of work this week to get as close as I could to George's version. Not quite there but I'm much happier about it than I was several days ago. I really just had to put the time into it and listen to the original many times. I wish I had the patience with my fingerpicking as much as I do with the strumming.

Bob - Thanks. Yes there were times in the singing where it sounded rushed a bit. Thats the problem with singing after I recorded the guitar playing. Those individual picking notes are supposed to match the singing and its much easier (relative term) when playing and singing at the same time. I just ran out of time and wanted to complete this little project today so I can move on to other things.

Pierre - Thank you. That intro you talk about on the All Things Must Pass album would be interesting to play. I really never thought about it as I was trying to emulate the demo version. However I'd be interested in knowing how to do it. If you already know how please let me know.

Pete - Thank you very much!!! I'm afraid Simon would say I was being indulgent on this one. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: The playing is passable but the singing is pretty poor. It was fun to do as I really like this song. I may have one or two more from this album over the next few months.

Bill - Thank you!! Your support is appreciated as always.

Bud - Thanks!! I had no choice in getting better on this song. Lots of practice this week and great advice from this site.

Al - Thank you!! Funny thing is that I usually have to slow things down a bit. On this one I could have been a bit quicker. I found the trick was to listen to the original soooo many times to try and pick out the little nuances the I never heard the first 20 or so times I listened.

MarkM

willem

Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:48 am

Mark you proof that you make work from the advices you get,,,funny thing is you said to Al i could be a litlle quicker but your vid is 2.02 and GH IS 2.02..playing time.

You said you listen a lot to the orginal,,do you also play along with it??

I really enjoy your vid and looking forward to....well you know.

pbraun

Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:57 am

Mark I don't have the exact album but one very simular. beware of Darkness or Art if Dying are 2 of my favorites of the acoustic demos, they don't sound to be really difficult. I have always thought of trying those out.
And for the record you'd get my Idol vote, it was a good job, especially based on how you had to learn it
Pete

dennisg

Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:58 am

Mark,

I honestly don't know the song, but it looks like a tough one to both play and sing, and you did an excellent job, as always. It seems like you're gaining more confidence in your singing, which is definitely a good thing.

RicksPick

Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:41 am

Mark
Sounds polished
Nice to listen to, well done

RicksPick

izzyhara

Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:34 pm

Very nice - very smooth. Since it's capo'd, can you move the capo down a fret or two? I don't want to take the edge off your voice, but a couple of those high notes sounded stressful. Also don't want you to ruin your voice cuz it's getting so good now. Great job on a difficult song - timing changes are so hard because they just never sound right. Thanks for sharing !! Izzy

jayswett

Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:59 am

I, too, wondered if the capo in a different spot would help with the higher notes. Having said, you are a model for a)letting it all out with the singing and b)demonstrating significant progress in a very short time. You can play that one when we go the the Stone Church in Newmarket for open mic night.

neverfoundthetime

Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:18 am

Love your stuff Mark! I have a ambiguous relationship with George's songs... some I really love, others, well.... This one I don't know well but I love the way you go at these. I'd like to second Jay on moving the capo down to 4 or 3 to take the key down a little. I find that I have to fit the key to the voice as often the original is too high... especially when you realise that George or Paul in later years also struggled to sing as high as they once did in their prime... and I swear there was technical jiggerypokery going on in some of their recordings to get the voices right ;-).

MarkM

Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:38 pm

Thanks all.

Willem - Yeah that was pretty funny that the time was the same.

Pete - Thanks!! I'm actually working on those other two songs as well. Great stuff.

Dennis - As always thank you!!

Rick - Thank you!!

Izzy,Jay,Chris - Thank you for your suggestions. You know I listened to it again and I have to agree with you. I actually started to turn red and sweated as it was pretty bad. I was trying to be too cute with the singing and just should have done it the same way I did when I first started with this.

So with that said, I just couldn't let it rest. I sang it again just using my normal voice (that's a concept huh?). Still not very good but I think better than what I had up here. So I'm just going to switch out the video's at the beginning of this string. No need to follow up. I just wanted to make sure that I put my best effort up.
MarkM

wrench

Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:23 pm

Mark,

Wow. You nailed that one pretty good.

There is a lot more very interesting George Harrison stuff than I ever realized. I started looking at GH a few months ago after watching the Concert for George from 2002. I think George deserves a lot more respect than he ever got for his work with the Beatles.

Keep posting these videos, and you'll make him famous yet! Great job. Way to lead the pick, er, pack, er...the pick-pack.

Dan

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic