Is There Anybody Out There? by michelew

sws626

Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:39 pm

Hi Michelle,

This was lovely. I hadn't listened to this song for such a long time, so have only a vague recollection of the original or how it's arranged. Previously, I'd thought Pink Floyd songs wouldn't come off well on a solo acoustic guitar, but you've proven otherwise.

-Stuart

Craig

Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:31 pm

Great job Michelle. Very nicely played. This is a song I worked on for awhile which makes me appreciate your efforts that much more!
Craig

michelew

Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:55 pm

It's been fantastic waking up to all to all of your generous responses. I went to bed after I posted it, hence my delayed replies.

Wiley - Thanks - I think we're all our own worst critic.

Jay - I'm glad you liked it.

Tony - thanks mate and feel free to let me know how it can be improved.

Jim - my guitar is a Hofner - HM83. It is entry level hand-made model. But, as it happens It was made and signed by Dieter Fischer who is a Master Luthier (been making guitars for 50 years). lucky me. Here is a photo of him. I only bought it a few weeks ago but I think the sound is already improving.

Bill - thanks - I so love those clapping hands.

Suzi - You're so sweet. I told Sue what you said and she laughed and then reminded me that she never complained.

Fred - thanks - and yes I do have teeth - like I said - for biting. That monkey really needs so patches.

Wilem - thanks and I look forward to your version. The stretches were tricky at first but become easier the more I played as you'd expect. I should use your on and off technique more. I find that I work on songs until they are pretty close and then I work on nothing else until I post.

Buddy - thanks - It is a little slower then the Pink Floyd version - I think but I wasn't going for that.

Kevin - a huge thank you!! I really pleased that you enjoyed it. It is a moving song. And thanks again for lifting my spirits the other day with your guitar face.

Mark - thanks - that's high praise coming from the man who turns everything he's touched lately to gold.

Kenny - thanks - good think I'm not playing heavy metal or you guys would be in trouble with your relaxing morning coffee.

Stuart - thank you - gee shucks...

Bob - thanks - given that I'm only practicing picking songs it is a relief that it's getting better. I must start a strumming one. Although I'm still finding that the edge of my nail gets caught at times.

Beaker - thanks - Flying ...cooolll - I'd love to be able to fly. BTW - Your last post was soooo cool!

Dennis - you charmer! - ta - fresh batteries indeed, I'm thrilled that you noticed. I'm definitely looking forward to your next one. By the way - I did some recording therapy on this one and I think it helped to make me more relaxed.

Bear - thanks so much! You are absolutely right. Without the camera I was playing it more slowly and with more feeling I think, but once my nemesis is going it's like adding fuel to the fire and I have trouble holding back the tempo. I'm going to give the song a rest for a while. But, when I return I'll definitely incorporate your advice (which is always so thoughtful).

Scott - thanks - I had a similar experience to you. I think it was because I had learned more about the song and it's nuances and so was trying to get those down too. The 'I know that I know almost nothing' stage...

Chas - thanks for the advice and I agree with you. I'm not sure that I know what the Rasguedo flamenco style is yet (I think I do) so I'll look that up. I guess I'm a little too conscious of not looking like a wanker too. But, I'm sure that's just a confidence thing.

Stuart - thank you - who knew I'd be playing Pink Floyd on the classical.

Craig - thanks - I don't think I've seen your version, I must go look for that.

I feel a little like a broken record, but a big thank you to all of you - sure was nice to wake you to your comments.

Michele

wammer

Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:58 pm

Oh Michelle

That was wow. You make it look way to easy. (which I know it is not)From your first video that I seen for the first time only a few months ago to this one WOW. YOU'VE COME ALONG WAY BABY LMAO

Tammy

P.S I wish I had someone in my home playing guitar all the time.

michelew

Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:08 pm

Thanks Tammy - You got me all choked up. That's the nicest thing....

Diggin' the muppet you!

And - excuse me for pointing out the obvious - but, don't you have someone (with blond wavy hair - fantastic singer, knows her way around a fretboard) playing guitar in your home all the time?

thereshopeyet

Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:09 pm

Thanks

Lavallee

Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:53 pm

Michele, you have fantastic hands, I have mentioned it before, but I can't help it. You have built up a confidence in your playing that really shows on the camera. You have played the song very beautifully.

I like that you have selected to use similar fingering as Neil was suggesting in the second measure. I find that the notes are coming clearly and the rhythm is very good. In measure 21-22 and 25-26, there is a slide which you have not done but maybe it is by choice.

I find that being critical and demanding about ourself, if done positively (meaning that we do not annoy our close friends and that we let go every now and then) , is really beneficial in the progression of any activity. I also like to do things that I care, to my taste, and mentionning our challenges to the other does not mean self pitty as it is sometimes perceived, but that we like challenge and that we do not settle for average.

If Sue does not complain after you play the same song over and over, well.... take good care of her.

Marc

coomba

Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:59 pm

G'day Michele
I just checked out your vid. wow that was beautiful.
Everyone has pretty well covered everything. I think you have blown us all away with this performance.
Well done
Cheers
Scott

PS your guitar really does sound nice!

michelew

Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:05 pm

Thereshope - thanks. The memory thing is just practice. Start with something that's not too hard.

Marc - thanks for your detailed feedback. I thought I had the slides, at least as Neil writes them. But i'll check the music and the video maybe I just need to emphasis them. I didn't know you'd done this song so I'll be checking out your video too. I may have just missed it. And I'm holding on to Sue good and tight. No worries there.

Ta
Michele

stratman3

Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:09 pm

Very nice Michelle, I have not even attempted this song yet, but your playing has inspired me, very, very, very well done, sounds GREAT.

Thanks for sharing Gary. B)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic