PERSONAL JESUS

buddy

Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:03 pm

I have had a blast this week learning this song. The constant baseline in it just rocks. I chose to learn this song because I enjoy the lyrics and maintaining the constant baseline was a real challenge. You might notice that I am playing the pull-off on the low E string with my pincky finger rather than my third finger. I had to resort to the pincky finger because the constant pull-off, while I was learning it on that fat E string, made my third finger to sore to use for the video. This made me relate to the earlier post on another thread "How much of a good thing is to much".

I love the feeling that Johnny Cash put into this version of the song.

Hope you enjoy it and any comments or suggestions would be appreciated to help me move it along.

Thanks for the input on the sound quality, I did a re-do with a different sound set-up. Let me know if this is any better.

rapsidy

Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:45 pm

Hi Buddy

I like this song too, i cant help move it a long as you are way down the track than me :) but the video quality is distorted making it hard to hear clearly both the quitar & singing, i'm not sure why as your other vids are fine.

always enjoy your vids, u show great enthusiam/passion for your playing and u look like u have a ball.

cheers
Brad

p.s enjoyed your competition entry too B)

coomba

Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:04 pm

G;day Buddy
Yeah cool base line to that
I liked it.
Like Brad said Vid is a bit off ,I liked your performance although it did come through a bit muffled in spots. Which is a bit of a shame as it detracted from your solid playing.
I liked the flat background too,its look quite professional.
Johny Cash did do some great songs eh.
You always amaze me how quickly you learn songs.
Well done
Cheers
Scott

AndyT

Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:37 am

Nice job.

I don't know how you recorded it but parts of it sounded way over modulated. Like you were really slamming on the strings to get some acoustic distortion. It took away from the song a bit. Timing and singing were right in there.

rapsidy

Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:23 am

Hi Buddy

I like this song too, i cant help move it a long as you are way down the track than me :) but the video quality is distorted making it hard to hear clearly both the quitar & singing, i'm not sure why as your other vids are fine.

always enjoy your vids, u show great enthusiam/passion for your playing and u look like u have a ball.

cheers
Brad

p.s enjoyed your competition entry too B)

BobR

Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:31 am

Hi Buddy,

From what I heard I really thought you did a good job. The audio, as others have said, was a bit distorted so it took away a bit from your solid playing. You're right the bass line sounds cool.

Bob

buddy

Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:36 pm

Brad, Scott and Andy,

Thanks for bearing with me on figuring out this sound set-up issue. I think what happened in the first video is that the bass in my amp overwhelms my little mic. I re-did the set-up and used my Mitchel mic for the second video that I posted above.

Let me know what you think,

Bud

BobR

Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:26 pm

Hi Bud,

I just listened to your "new and improved" version. The audio came out really clean this time. I went to listen to the Johnny Cash version, and I think you did a really nice job.

Well done!!

Bob

michelew

Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:38 pm

Cool bass line to be sure. There are a couple of little places where the timing sounds a little off, but I don't know this song so it might not be. Overall, however, I think you've captured the song and it sounds really good. Good job. Thanks.

Michele

buddy

Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:49 am

Bob - Thanks for the follow-up

Michele - thanks for the kind words of encouragement. You could be right on the timing as this is a tough song to play and sing because of the quick rhythm changes.

Bud

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic