Circle Game- by Suziko

suziko

Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:18 am

Marc- Thanks so much for your comments on my playing. I'm glad to hear you think my right hand looks good. I know I don't always get it angled toward the floor, and to be honest, having not rewatched my video with attention to that, I'm not even sure I did it this time. But it makes me feel better to know that you think it looks good, since you are a much more experienced fingerpicker than me.

I think you're right, that I should keep working on CG, but just less obsessively. Yesterday I felt like I never wanted to look at the song (or my guitar!) ever again. But today I already feel refreshed and open to more. I'll keep it in the rotation, as you suggested, and I think I will take a look at Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You. merci, Marc!

Abilio- Thank you so much! I really enjoyed your version of Is There Anybody Out There. You're right- that chair is my arch-nemesis!! Tony keeps hoping I'm going to miss it one of these days and topple over. :)

Joe- Well, I felt good when it was over, that's for sure. But I'm glad to make other people smile. That is a nice feeling. Good luck with the fingerpicking. It's a real challenge but I think once you catch the bug, you can't easily shake it. I look forward to seeing another video from you! Really enjoyed the one you and Chris submitted for the guitar contest.

rapsidy

Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:49 am

Hi Suzie

I think your vid on who'll stop the rain was the first i watched as it was the one i was working on and wanted to see how others were, yours was the first i stumbled across, so i always check your vids out to see the progress and man that is encouraging to see what you can do now :) plus harvest moon one of my fav songs and you can play them well.

what is the time difference between WS the rain and this one ?

As other have said great job, and its always hard to nail it with the camera rolling, especially when u almost get through without a mistake and u stuff up right at the end dont u hate that :angry:

enjoyed your singing, there should be more of that next time please

Brad

suziko

Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:57 am

Hi Brad- Thanks for your comments- I've been enjoying watching your progress as well. That's one of my favorite things about this site- seeing individual guitarists improve over time. It's really inspiring to me.

I think I posted WSTR some time at the beginning of October. So, yeah, about 6 months ago. I'm torn between being proud of the progress I've made and feeling like I should be further ahead! As a previous poster noted, we're our own worst critics.

You're right about how the stress level increases as you work through the song (while recording). I started out pretty relaxed, but by the end my hands were shaking noticeably (to me, not so much on film). Anyway, I'm glad you liked the video, and I'll look forward to seeing your next one!

reiver

Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:50 am

It is now 22 hrs since posting - this has been viewed over 260 times. You must pick really popular songs ;)

Well done Suzi. I've told you before how much I enjoy watching your videos. You always appear to give so much of your self to the performance and it makes it all the more enjoyable to be a part of. Whenever we reach a level of proficiency in anything we are always torn between being pleased with ourselves and wondering if we could have gone further but I think that you should be very happy with the position that you find yourself in at the moment. I'm sure you are when you really think about it. I am very impressed by how far you've come - and in such a short time. And I also think your hand position is improving all the time.
You mentioned a few times that you're not very happy with your vocal performance. Well, I think that's true for us all. And if it isnt, it probably should be!

Well done again - I really enjoyed it.

beaker

Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:01 pm

Suzi,
I thought you did an excellent job with this song. I will be learning this one as well, but .... so many songs to learn!!! It may be a while. You singing was great and I would encourage you go stick with it. It will only get better..... As I watched I was able to imagine you singing this in the future...... I was imagining where you will go with this ...... the future looks very bright!!!!! Keep on strumming, I look forward to your next post. Beaker.

jayswett

Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:03 pm

I've been out of the loop for a few days and was thrilled to see this. You did a great job with this, and I am totally with you on the notion that somehow I can play it without singing, sing it without playing, but can't put the two together. This was a joy to watch, not just because it sounded so nice, but also because you continue to improve with each video in such clear and convincing ways. Congrats on that.

suziko

Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:42 pm

Stuart- I'm really glad that you enjoy watching my videos. I know they're never perfect, but I do try to make them nice. Thanks also for your kind words regarding my singing. It has taken me a long time to come to accept that my opinion of what I do (basically, that it sucks) isn't always shared by everyone else. We haven't seen anything from you in a long time! Do you have a video coming soon for your eager fans out there?

Beaker- Thanks so much! I'll have to keep working on this song if I ever want to perform it NOT to an empty room (the way I did for this song). I can't even imagine how many goofs I'd have had if a real person had been watching instead of just my camera.

Jay- When I was doing this (and getting frustrated) I actually thought about how you mixed your vocals later with the music when you did Streets of London, but (as I mentioned before), technology of that sort is not my friend. Besides, at some point I have to learn to sing and play simultaneously. No time like the present, I suppose.

johnrfeeney

Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:20 pm

beautiful

Yamaha48

Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:41 am

Helli Suzi.

A realy nice tune,this is fore me the first time i here this song.
Singing and play together is not a easy part.
Thanks that you dit it.
I think as you play and sing this tune evry day,that it come s good.

Warm greet Anton

suziko

Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:32 am

John- Thank you!

Anton- I guess this wasn't a popular song in the Netherlands since Willem didn't know it either. I'm really glad you liked it. And, you're right, singing and playing together just takes practice, like everything.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic