Circle Game- by Suziko

BigBear

Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:20 pm

Suzi- very nicely done on a beautiful song. Your finger picking has really improved and you seem much more comfortable. What can I say about your guitar? I'm the biggest Taylor fan in the world! Sounds just like a Taylor- wonderful!! lol!

You have a really nice voice that you need to explore more. May I suggest perhaps recording this song a cappella and then going back and singing over your own playing? I think trying to do both may be a little bit of overload right now. It's so hard to keep up with Joni's picking and trying to sing to her at the same time.

It's wonderful to see another video from you and congratulations on all your hard work. You are playing wonderfully!

Cheers! :cheer:

willem

Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:29 pm

hoi Susy,,so,so,,i 'm not familair with Joni but for me she sounded like Joan Beaz,,so i listen to Joni and the lesson before i do a kind of saying,,and i can say you did very nice and with suprise you add singin,,i know noW that really intime you nail the whole thing,,

When you can dream the whole chart fingerpicking,,then i 'm sure the ''oops'' are gone,,but then maybe your lovely smile to,, so loved your sharing and looking forward to your next...

Ps just curious, i remember you would do a singin course,,do you started that???
And i do you like it,???

suziko

Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:57 pm

Thanks, guys. This song was a huge challenge for me and I know it didn't come out perfectly (especially the singing!) but I also know that I couldn't have played this 6 months ago. So there's a lot of thrill just in that alone.

Bill- Thanks for the hands! I'm sure my goofs were neither "small" nor well-covered, but I do appreciate your kindness!

Tom- Thank you. It's a lovely guitar and I'm looking forward to years of making beautiful music together.

Gary- I don't know if I'll ever feel like I "own" this song, but maybe in a few more months I'll have it down more. Thank you.

Kevin- Thank you for all your kind words! I like to think angels hit fewer off-key notes, but then again, it's a lot easier to play the harp than it is the guitar ;)

Bob- Yes, the guitar is a great. I'm lucky to have such a nice instrument to play.

Craig- It was a long time coming, wasn't it? ;)

Chris- Oh! *blush*

Jason- I found singing to this song to be one of the biggest challenges for me. If I play it without singing, I can do it well, and if I sing it without playing I can do THAT well, but combine the two and, well, let's just say it's not like peanut butter and chocolate.

JJ- Thank you!

Bear- Thanks for all your kind words. I now own 3 (!) Taylors and I agree, they make a really fine guitar. I like your suggestion of recording my vocals ahead of time except mixing it with the guitar part would require me using some sort of technology and that sounds scary. Or maybe I could just bust out that old tape recorder from the 80s..... But as I said to Jason above, singing and playing simultaneously in this song was daunting to me. The vocals are challenging and the picking is challenging. Put them together and- phew! *wipes brow*

Willem- Thanks so much Willem! Clearly it's a work in progress, but then again we are always improving the songs in our repetoire, I would think. I did start doing a group vocal class about a month ago. I've really enjoyed it, though I still have a long way to go.

AcousticAl

Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:06 pm

Wow. Loved it. Do you know how hard it is to fingerpick and sing at the same time?? I guess you do, and you did a great job of it. And the flubs made it more endearing- we all have them- especially when the camera's on! And top it off with the heart-melting smile at the end.. I'm done.

suziko

Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:09 pm

Thanks, Al. Yes, I do know how hard it is! I had no idea until I decided to tackle this song. But thanks, I did the best I could, and that's all we can ask of ourselves. And I'm glad you all liked my smiles so much. Guess I should do it more often if it means you don't notice my mistakes as much! :)

AcousticAl

Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:21 pm

suziko wrote:
Thanks, Al. Yes, I do know how hard it is! I had no idea until I decided to tackle this song. But thanks, I did the best I could, and that's all we can ask of ourselves. And I'm glad you all liked my smiles so much. Guess I should do it more often if it means you don't notice my mistakes as much! :)

Well kidding aside, I think a smile goes a long way with an audience- whether it's TG or a group around a campfire. I found myself smiling along with you at the mistakes. Can't say the same would happen if you made a discouraged or annoyed face every time you missed a note. You just smiled and kept going. And as has been discussed on here many times, we are our own harshest critics.

suziko

Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:28 pm

Al- good points. I think I also just smiled and charged on because there was no way I wanted to have to play through that first verse/chorus again!! You can't tell how much my hands were trembling but believe me, they were.

jimcjimc

Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:39 pm

Very nice playing and singing. In a few places, it seemed like you were rushing - slow it down is one of Neil's common comments, isn't it

and like others have mentioned, I was looking forward & hoping for you to make more minor mistakes just to see your great smile!

waggis

Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:05 pm

Great job Suzie. I love this song and you did it justice. Thanks

David

suziko

Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:09 pm

Jim- you're 100% right that I speed up during the song. I knew I was doing that because I did it every time, despite playing it often with a metronome or with Neil's "slowed down" version. Like so many things, I guess it just takes practice.

David- Thank you!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic