Lucky Man Beginner Lesson, Version 2

BobR

Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:29 am

Brad,

Glad to see you have over come the fast playing :laugh:
Seriously though everyone has given you the right comments. You are doing all down strums when it should have up stokes as well. I just went to look at the Lucky Man lesson and while you should always view the whole lesson, the part 5 right hand sections shows this strum very clearly. Thanks for posting and good luck on your guitar journey.

Bob

buzz_187

Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:45 am

BobR wrote:
Brad,

Glad to see you have over come the fast playing :laugh:
Seriously though everyone has given you the right comments. You are doing all down strums when it should have up stokes as well. I just went to look at the Lucky Man lesson and while you should always view the whole lesson, the part 5 right hand sections shows this strum very clearly. Thanks for posting and good luck on your guitar journey.

Bob
yeah i know the strumming pattern in my head, and i can do it pretty good, but nowhere near fast enough to post a vid, it would be excruciatingly long and full of errors, but i will post a vid of me doing the DDUDU strum (which is what he teaches in the lesson) if you think i should?

neverfoundthetime

Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:22 pm

Welcome to the video posters club Brad and congrats on your first post which you got up almost before you joined so you are fast out of the starting blocks man! With that attitude you will go far! Folks have give lots of solid advice Brad, spend some time to take it on board and post again a few weeks down the line so we can all enjoy your progress.

MarkM

Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:34 pm

Brad,

Great job on your first video!!!! You have already gotten a great deal of good advice from others so I'll leave that alone. As Dennis said you are not awful but rather a beginner. Big difference and we have all been there. You have a great attitude and that is the first place to start. As long as you have that and patience you'll be doing great things very soon. Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing this. Looking forward to the next video!!

MarkM

sws626

Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:24 pm

Hi Brad,
Bravo & congratulations on getting this video up on the forum.

Your chords are sounding very clean and you've got the right 6/8 timing within each measure (okay, 3/4 over two measures). Chas, Marc and others have given some excellent suggestion on getting the rhythm down more continuously with your right hand -- I know this is hard to do while focused on forming and moving between the chords, but shifting that focus to the right hand and slowing everything down to the point where the left can keep up (even if that seems painfully slow at first) will pay off.

Sounds like you are having a lot of fun. As others have also suggested, you absolutely must save this video to look back on a year or even a few months from now.

-Stuart

buzz_187

Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:07 pm

Would it be okay to try a few other songs also, or should i just keep drillin Lucky Man till i get it perfect?

haoli25

Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:25 pm

Do keep working on "Lucky Man" but try other songs too. (not too many at first) The more you try different techniques, the more you learn. You are doing great Brad, keep going.

Bill

scotta

Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:32 pm

Hey Brad!

Congratulations on your first video post. That first one is tough but very well worth it. You've gotten some excellent feedback from some of the other members already and I don't think I can add anything to it but to say your hard work is paying off and your enthusiasm is infectious. Keep up the good work!

I'm looking forward to seeing your improvements in videos to come!

Scott

wiley

Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:27 am

Brad,

Thanks for all the hard work that went into your post. As others have said, we all begin somewhere and you seem to have the desire that floats in and out of myself. Keep it up, work on "Lucky Man" and others.

A hint on 'strumming patterns' and practicing them. Try 'muting' with your left hand (simply lay your fingers across the fretboard, muting the strings) and strum. Now you have no worries about the sound nor what your left hand is doing. The right hand 'leads' the left, telling it what to do. Now muted, practice those strums, and once you have a particular pattern down, try another. Then another, and another, then improvise.

I think you'll find that once that 'muscle memory' sets into your right hand, a bit more concentration can be used on the left. IOW, the strumming pattern becomes more 'automated'.

Best of 'luck' to you and keep up the work. It will pay off.

buzz_187

Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:00 pm

WTF, why are the videos being removed?!?!?!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic