Lucky Man Beginner Lesson, Version 2

buzz_187

Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:39 am

thanks guys, i know im awful, but i also know that i just started and i cant be great right out of the door. But i do hear myself getting better every single time i practice, i.e. hittin chords just a tad quicker/easier, and actually stricking the correct strings. Im really having alot of fun here, and i am surely here to stay, cant wait till i progress enough to post another vid, will be working hard for it, you can count on that!
-Brad

tovo

Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:09 am

Hi Brad. I think Marc's advice was very good. You would certainly benefit from some practice on strumming patterns, DUDUD and DDUUD would be good to start on. You might benefit from calling the strum out loud to get the feel of it. Just try to get the feel for even strumming both down and up. I think you have made a good start and your chords are quite solid, now it's just a matter of consolidation and further practice. Well done.

coomba

Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:15 am

G'day Brad
Hey well done mate, great first song.
What ever you do, burn that onto a DVD and put it away somewhere safe. Then have a look at it in say 1 to 2 months and then again in 6 to 12 months,(or when you think your not improving quick enough) it will blow your mind the progress you'll be making.
When you get comfortable with that strumming pattern move up to the next one in that lesson, your doing great so far.
Cheers
Scott

Chasplaya

Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:24 am

OK Brad finally you made it. The song is in 3/4 time but it comes across as 6/8. Now don't get overly concerned about that too much just yet. I did note you get a steady beat on each chord I counted 6 beats per chord which was good and you maintained the timing. Timing is all important, get a metronome you will appreciate the small investement later. A suggestion to begin with to get fluency with the changes, on the last beat lift your fingers off completely and get them moving to the next chord. If you have to do 5 Downs on the chord and the last an Up on open strings that will get you the feel. If you watch Neil and I believe he mentions it in several lessons the transition from one chord to the next is mostly on open strings. Now I can't recall the exact strum pattern Neil uses on this song, his playthrough is slightly more elaborate but in the actual right hand vid he does something different but straightforward, i'd need to go back and check, you need to watch it. Neil also does a slow play through I suggest also play along with this until you get a metronome. Now thats enough to go on with. Hey it took a while but your enthusiasm is just outa here man, I really look forward to your progress on this and other songs. Hey check out the Acoustic Genious series of lessons a wealth of info to be found there.

Good on ya mate

chas

rapsidy

Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:55 am

Hey Brad

now thats better :laugh:

Im only a beginner myself so i wont be off loading any advice, i'll leave that to the more experienced.

But i will say your left hand is doing really well,(IMO) you dont seem to be having too much trouble changing between those chords. It took me months before i could do what your doing, so I think you will progress really fast on here.

I look forward to watching it

congrats on your first post finally, if u are as persistent with the guitar practise as u were uploading this vid u will do great.

Brad

willem

Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:17 am

Oke Brad,there you go,,your on your way on the transtions,,for the strumming i would say,try to hit the strings lighter,but on the first beat you can do it a kind of stronger on the bas strings,then the other beats lighter and more on the other strings,,go through the genius serie's and then the lesson ''the compleat strumming guitarist..

For the recording,,i use a camrecorder with tape,,i never have many MB,,the format AVI is good for YOU TUBE,,look at others with super video,,they use kodak 28i,i believe,,and the upload to you tube is easer becouse there is a software with it..and there is a technical group here that you can join,,surch the group on your profile..goodluck..

dekotaj

Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:13 am

Hey Brad,

Bravo sir.Like other have said The first is the hardest.And we all have been were you are.You are lucky,Having Neil when starting is a great help.Listen to what he is say when learning these songs,Have FUN playing,and enjoying the feelings from songs you play.And it wont be long and you will be sing and playing that beautiful young lady in your avatar to sleep.

Good luck and thanks for posting.

Kevin

dennisg

Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:29 am

Brad,

A big congratulations on your video. Others have already made the relevant comments, but I'd just like to say that you're not awful (like you claim) -- you're a beginner. We all played exactly like that. Only if you're still playing like that six months from now will you have earned the right to call yourself awful.

wrench

Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:57 am

Good start, Brad. Lucky Man is my go-to song to repair my timing every now and then. Your chord changes and rhythm look very good for your current level.

I saw two things you need to work on some. Keep the guitar positioned more vertically. I know this is tough in the beginning, but work on it. The other thing you did only once. While your rhythm was overall pretty good, you were slow with one chord change and you made your right hand wait for it. I'm sure you picked this up in the lessons, but a late chord is better than a late beat. From here, I would play to a metronome, and concentrate on keeping the right hand in time with the metronome.

You're coming out the starting blocks in pretty good form; I expect you will improve pretty quickly. In reading other comments in the thread, I want to emphasize something Kevin wrote in bold letters, as if that wasn't emphasis enough. Everything - and I mean EVERYTHING - that Neil says in these lessons is crucially important to a student. You will need less corrective action later if you follow the beginner lessons EXACTLY as Neil teaches them. Creativity is a good thing a little later, but at this point will lead to something you need to fix later. Ask me how I know that sometime......

Good job, and welcome to the club.

Dan

buzz_187

Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:49 am

once again pepes, THANK YOU so much for the feedback, i cant wait to get home from work and start working on it again, implementing all the tips you all gave!! My wife keeps saying, "now, dont go getting burned out on it honey." lol yeah right!! ive always wanted to learn how to play guitar, and now im finally doin it, NOTHING is gona stop me! -Brad

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic