Still The Same : Heatndude *FIXED*

haoli25

Wed May 05, 2010 6:20 pm

Nicely done Mark. You should be very proud. I think Chris' suggestion of playing along with Neil's video will be most helpful to you in getting the timing and the 'feel' of the song down. Thanks for posting your video.

Bill Image

heatndude

Wed May 05, 2010 7:43 pm

Tovo--Yes Im not good about practicing with my metronome, its like flossing your teeth everyone tells you do do it but you rarely do ! Ya its been a long time waiting but Im kinda dumb when it comes to computer stuff thanks to the Tg guys helping out I might have lost this video ! Thanks for the suport

Neverfoundthetime-- Now that you point out the feel of the song I hear what you mean. It will give me something to work on. Its not a tune that im that familiar with but will be soon. Thanks for the tip

thereshopeyet--- I think ther is for me too thanks to TG. Yes thats your reflection its pretty shined up. It is a Spalted Maple solid wood guitar from Dean. I like it and I could afford it which is a bonus. Some day Ill get me a Taylor. The next time I post this it wont be the same I hope. Thanks :)

haoli25---Im smelling what you guys stepped in regatding the feeling / timing. Thanks

Thank you Everyone your all great!!!!!!!!!

Mark

jayswett

Wed May 05, 2010 8:56 pm

Nicely done. Slow it down a bit, give it another week or so, and that will sound just about perfect. I'm guessing Bob Seger is a tough artist to cover in terms of singing. That guitar is indeed quite lovely.

Lavallee

Wed May 05, 2010 11:22 pm

Great first post Mark, That first video is a toughy but only for the person who does it, we are all happy to see it.

I find that your chord changes are pretty good. As others have suggested the strumming feel could be worked on. Maybe you could try a bit of swing time strumming instead of the regular strumming. Swing time is creating a delay on the up stroke while constant strumming there is no delay. Constant strumming would be DUDUDU at a constant speed. The swing time could be DDUDU. Because of the 2 consecutive downs, you have this delay giving a bit of variation. Something to try anyway.

Glad you posted

Marc

Chasplaya

Thu May 06, 2010 4:25 am

Hi Mark great to see your debut video. I'm a bit like Tovo when mentioning the metronome not great at using it myself but force myself from time to time, but I think that or play along with Neil will help you immensely, I note most chord changes are pretty fluent but the F chord needs the barre finger planted first it tends to follow the others, once you get the hang of that barres do become easier.

For a first take and first video very well done.

suziko

Thu May 06, 2010 5:38 am

Congratulations on getting this up here! It must have been frustrating to be uploading your first video on the one day that TG had to completely overhaul the upload-protocol. Anyway, glad to see you got it posted.

Nice fluid transitions on the chord changes and nice hammer-on in that intro part. I agree that your timing seems the main issue. You speed up and slow down throughout the song. Like others have mentioned, I also dislike playing with a metronome, though I do force myself to do it. I'm pretty sure Neil's play-through of this song on the lesson is also relatively slow, so I'd play with that for a while until you really feel the timing.

I can't remember who posted this before, though I'm pretty sure it was BobR, but in the comments to their video there was a nice discussion started by AcousticAl regarding a little bass run down you can do to in the transition between verse and chorus. It really adds some nice color to the song and breaks up the strumming a little. Check it out if you're interested.

Congratulations! Suzi

willem

Thu May 06, 2010 6:23 am

Hey Mark you made it,,congrat with you second vid,(the first was blackbird i remember,,not sure),,the song come along,,after watch and listen to your song i went tothe lesson and tryed myself to give some suggestions and that aint easy,,

I think first slow down a bit.
for the intro,give at what more attension.
for the verse on count one do not a up after the down(you must do a up in your movement,but not hit the strings) count two down/up, count three is a fake again then finisch the measer with UDU,and do this the same(if you please) with the other measers,,i know Neil explains that you can do some other strumming to make it more intresting,but i think first the nr one! strumming of many songs(and this strum is swingin, like Marc said) and also easer to sing with,, goodluck and i think the man you honnor is jumping on your upload,,,well i hope for you,,

heatndude

Thu May 06, 2010 9:31 am

Hi Willem, You are right I already posted three videos, two playing Blackbird and noe this one.

Suzi-- Thanks for the feedback much appreciated, ya it took some time to post this. I wish Iwas better at the computer stuff. My job does not involve computer work just swinging a hammer and fixing stuff with tools. I will check out Bobr version and give it a try then re-post my progress in a few weeks. Thanks again !

Chas--You are correct about the the bar chord not getting the bar down first. I have been working on that a lot trying to get better. Try Try Try Try and Try again til I get it.

Thanks everyone

Mark

BigBear

Thu May 06, 2010 2:47 pm

Hey Mark! I finally got to look at this. Nice job overall. Your chord changes are getting much better. If I may, a couple of suggestions that are really typical of most guitarists starting out:

1. Don't feel like you need to fill every beat with music. The song literally gets "lost" in all those up and down strokes. Maybe try one downstroke at the start of each measure. Think about the song in your head. Then try one downstroke every other beat ie. down-nothing-down-nothing. Only provide the listener as much music as the song needs. Rest strokes are almost always a good thing! And make your upstrokes very light.

The absolute best at this is David Gilmour who I swear has never wasted a note.

2. Then try to emphasise the first beat of every measure more than the rest. This is the beginnings of "feel". All notes are not equal.

3. Relax a little bit! You seem very tight, probably because you are recording. Hold the pick lightly and don't let tension build in your right forearm. Tension will cause "heaviness" and detract from the bouncy feel of this song.

That's enough feedback for now. Great job and keep practicing and you'll have this one in the bag!

Thanks for sharing this video and I look forward to your future posts!

Cheers!! :cheer:

BobR

Thu May 06, 2010 5:11 pm

Hi Mark,

I glad you were finally able to get this uploaded. I think you've got the chords down but as you've said the timing needs some work. As others have said if you play along with Neil you'll get it.

Thanks for posting.

Bob

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic