TOVO - Father and Son Revisited

tovo

Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:31 pm

I can't emphasise enough how helpful the comments I received on my first effort on this song were. I think I always promise to revisit so I can show that I take the advice aboard, but for this song I felt it was really important to try again.

The main area I tried to improve was the strumming arc, I have tried to shorten it to aid the timing, and also use more wrist.

I tried to get up for the Son parts, my voice doesn't co-operate. Honestly, that matters far less to me than the playing.

There's a couple of HOWLER BM7 chords in there. Disappointing but hey, that's life.

I feel I am playing it much better overall. Thanks again for all the help. 3 people in particular whom I've never met but call friends helped me get through a tough period. They know who they are. Thanks guys. Thankyou to all the other supportive people here as well.

Oh...I did the video LATE at night....the lights were down. Just as well many would say! I thought it was a kinda nice affect. You all know why I picked Shrek as my avatar anyway! For those peering through the gloom, no adjusting to be seen. You can see my hands though and that's the main thing.

[video][/video]

michelew

Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:37 pm

Oh no the phantom video burglar has struck again. I am sooooooooo looking forward to watching this! Hopefully the techno faeries (no slight intended - they're heros) will have resolved the problem when I get home from work. I can't wait. Michele

neverfoundthetime

Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:58 pm

Tony just needs to click on making the video public on you tube... I think...

tovo

Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:08 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Tony just needs to click on making the video public on you tube... I think...
yeah should be fixed now. Sorry. For some reason "private" has become my default setting instead of "public". Thanks for the heads-up Chris.

neverfoundthetime

Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:12 pm

There you go! Nice job Tony. Much smoother and your touch on the plectrum is getting lighter with each posting. Great to see you take suggestions on board and take your playing to a higher level each video. Well done!

dennisg

Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:21 pm

Tony,

I'll be completely honest -- this doesn't even look like the same guitarist. Your wrist is more supple, your strumming is more fluid, and the up/down range of motion has been decreased dramatically. The result of all of this is that the song sounds much more polished; there is phrasing in your playing that I don't recall being there in your first upload. Congrats! Your very hard work is paying off.

I think I understand why you dimmed the lights: so that you could slip MarkM in there to play for you.

One area that could use some attention is when you pick out individual notes; you're not letting them ring to the next note, and they sound a bit stunted. As Neil told me in my "Sad songs" video, more legato, less staccato.

But, hell, I consider this upload a smashing success. For your peace of mind, I had hoped for real improvement, and I can only hope that you're very happy with the results of your efforts. I sure am.

tovo

Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:33 pm

Thanks for the comment Chris...and the heads up on the settings as I said.

Dennis I must admit when I read "I'll be completely honest" I got that sinking feeling. Now I'm relieved. I felt it was much better, but self-praise is no great recommendation. It's FAR from perfect...but it shows that listening to the very good advice here on TG will improve one's playing. Improving is what I'm about. Thanks sincerely.

Craig

Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:34 pm

If your main goal was to improve your strumming arc, then mission accomplished! Great job. This is really polished from your first posting of this song. Way to go! I admire the hard work and determination that I know you put into this one. Thanks for sharing the updated version.
Craig

MarkM

Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:47 pm

Tony my man you just clicked with this one. You are a different guitarist with this song from the last version. Very well done. Smooth and easy strumming. Consistant tone from the guitar on each strum. Yeah that B7 gives me problems as well as it isn't a well used barre chord shape. My ring finger doesn't know what to do on that one. Man tha was good!!!! The tempo was, to my ears, pretty steady throughout the song. I liked it a lot. In fact I think I'm going to have to learn this one now that I've seen what you can do with it. Thanks for updating us on such great progress.

MarkM

mcfingers

Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:54 pm

I think you did a really great job smoothing out your strum. Much improved from the first video.
I have to admit though, with the lights turned down low I felt like I was watching a performance from the witness protection program :laugh: .
I always love listening to that song, and your performance was no different. Thanks
Steve

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic