Don't Think Twice It's Allright

jayswett

Sun May 02, 2010 2:42 pm

Lavallee wrote:
Jay, you have a different voice (different tonality), but I thought your singing was as interesting as of Fretkillr. You have some tone variation that are very melodic. So there was no misunderstanding : different tone of voice but as interesting.

Marc
Thanks again. The other thing that I forgot to mention regarding your comments is that you are absolutely correct in that I'm not really hitting those treble notes loudly enough. More to work on.

buddy

Sun May 02, 2010 3:16 pm

Jay,

You are really coming along with your alternating base. That was a pleasure to watch.

Bud

AcousticAl

Sun May 02, 2010 4:17 pm

Way to go,Jay! That was great!

I was just thinking how you can really pick out people's fortés (sp?) on here. I always know that your fingerpicking will be stellar.

**Edit-- I now have this song rattling in my head (in a good way). Am I right that it has a similar picking pattern to 'I Got a Name' by Jim Croce?

tovo

Sun May 02, 2010 5:53 pm

OK Jay I'm going to have to disagree with you on Fretkillr. Man, you can play and sing real well. Fretkillr does a good job for sure and his voice is to die for, but in my opinion his version is not at all true to the way this song was intended by Dylan. Yours is much closer and I honestly enjoyed listening to yours in preference to his. I'm not talking about sounding like Dylan, that's not the point, it's the vibe of the song. There's an Australian girl who is very popular on Youtube and she can sing no doubt, but every song she does sounds like she is singing on a Children's program. I wouldn't level that criticism at Fretkillr who is clearly very good, but the vibe of the song is real important I think. It's a sarcastic, jilted lover who wants her to know he is hurting. You had the vibe much closer to the intention.

OK I have raved on so far but 2 more things. First, you took impact from the performance by having that hand under your chin the whole time, like nobody was watching. Man I know you are focused on doing a good job of holding the tune, which you did, but I say, get into the performance a little. Second, work hard (I know you can do that) on playing and singing at the same time because once you can, you will be a real good performer.

Jay I love your stuff. Every time. I'm writing not as someone who thinks he has all the answers, but as a mate who wants to see you do as well as I know you can. Bravo.

jayswett

Sun May 02, 2010 9:52 pm

Al - I know that Jim Croce song to which you refer, but don't know how to play it. I'd love to learn it though. I haven't put much time into I'll Have to Say I Love You, but it's certainly a song very high on my list. Currently, my main focus is on three songs: Just Breathe, If You Could Read My Mind, and a Brandi Carlile song called Have You Ever. So many great songs,so little time.

Tony - I hadn't noticed that hand under the chin, but you are right in that it takes away from the piece a bit. As for the singing/playing simultaneously, I worked on that today by making one final video of 4+20, which I will try to post tonight or tomorrow. You might remember that I was having trouble singing and playing that one as well. I haven't conquered it yet, but have made some improvement.

cosmicmechanic

Sun May 02, 2010 10:47 pm

Jay that was so good ! We are unanimous in TG land !
So now should I take a week off to get into a whole lot of Dylan?
Ahhh I'll be reasonable, I guess.

What hasn't been said by others so far ?
What can you do better: maybe look less serious (for the audience) or more serious (for the lyrics)
or wear a hat ... for this song, maybe a cowboy hat or a double-horned Viking hat.

Hoping you find this useful,
Pierre

dennisg

Mon May 03, 2010 9:57 am

There is definitely an Arlo Guthrie quality to your finger picking, Jay, and it's so beautiful and impressive. The double walk-ups with the bass and treble strings didn't go unnoticed. I only wish the treble were a bit punchier so I could hear it better and so that it would balance out the bass. I'd love to see you simultaneously sing and play the song, mostly because I think it'll be hugely rewarding for you to do that and help to prepare you for other songs that require the same combination of skills you so clearly demonstrate.

wrench

Mon May 03, 2010 2:51 pm

Jay,

There's nothing I can say that someone hasn't already said. You just keep getting better and better. You have really challenged yourself as a musician, and you met that challenge head on! When you get playing and singing put together, you will be MORE than ready for that open mic deal.

Fantastic job, Jay. That was a total pleasure to watch.

How did you handle Audacity's click track? Did you overdub it in Audacity with your tracks, then remove the click track?

Dan

sws626

Mon May 03, 2010 3:33 pm

Hi Jay,

I was excited when I saw you'd posted this song -- and enjoyed it even more than I'd expected now that I've found the time to listen. I hadn't see Fretkillr's version (though I listen to him quite a lot), but feel you capture the spirit of this song better. It sounds great all around. My only suggestion would be that, although I can hear the melody notes you're hitting they could ring out a bit stronger.

-Stuart

michelew

Mon May 03, 2010 4:52 pm

Jay,

That was FANTASTIC. I LOVE your playing and your singing too. You've got a lovely rich voice. I'm sure you'll be able to do them together at some point soon. As with everything the answer is probably practice, practice, practice. I've said it before and I'll say it again. you're a role model for me; a standard that I strive for.

I think I'm adding this song to the list. Yep it's added.

Thanks for the great performance and the inspiration.

I LOVED it.

Michele

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic