Don't Think Twice It's Allright

jayswett

Sun May 02, 2010 6:57 am

I believe this song was written by Bob Dylan, but I saw a version online by a guy named FrettKillr who plays and sings this song better than anyone I've ever seen. I tried to emulate him with this video. I played along with a click track (aucacity feature) which I found very useful in terms of keeping time, and I was pleased to discover last night that this was much easier for me than it's been in the past. Metronomes generally have not been my friend, but I think that may be changing. As I wached the video after having created it, the tempo struck me as perhaps a little slow. The click track was set at 94 bpm. Anyway, I will post an update in a few weeks with the goal of me singing and playing simultaneously. I tried last night, but kept getting lost in the chords, so I just gave up and did the usual overdubbing of the vocal portion. I'm not happy with that, but I'll keep plugging away.

This is Fretkillr's version. It's really good.

willem

Sun May 02, 2010 7:25 am

Jay,,you done it again,,great,,one of my fouverite Dylan's that i certainly want to learn.. it so nice to do the vids on your way,,,first playing and then sing with it on your own companian,,great man,, looking forward to....wel you know..

beaker

Sun May 02, 2010 8:21 am

Great job Jay,
You have inspired me, I play that one too, just not as well. Now it is back to the drawing board for me. I have to learn some of those, melody notes and walk ups that you do. Again, really good version! Beaker.

dekotaj

Sun May 02, 2010 8:32 am

BRAVO!!Jay,

Really enjoyed that.Great Dylan tune.Good cover.Thanks for the song.

Kevin

rapsidy

Sun May 02, 2010 9:04 am

Hi Jay

this makes me weep. I am currently working on house of rising sun as my beginner finger picking song. To see your fingers just running away like that just makes me envious.

I can see how hard it must be to combine singing and playing while u finger pick

Are you able to turn the volume up on the singing as it was hard to hear on the vid?

enjoyed your playing something to aspire to

Brad

MarkM

Sun May 02, 2010 9:08 am

Jay you are a finger picking machine!!! Wow!! Having really tried recently to play in this style and finding it very frustrating, I have to say you make it look effortless. I know its not and you have really practiced long and hard to get to this point. It sure has paid off. I though the song was great. Nothing more to add on that. Well done!!! However you said you used a click track on audacity. That sounds like it could help me as well. When you get time please let me know how you did that. Thanks.

MarkM

Lavallee

Sun May 02, 2010 9:16 am

Jay, the video is very good, your playing is excellent again. The rhythm is constant and the strings are hit cleanly. That songs seems to have more subtilities on the voice than the other that you posted, sligthly varying the tone which you are do a fantastic job. He has a different voice than you but you singing is as good as fretkillr.You have a very nice voice.. As a note, I find that he sounds like Roger Whitaker.

On the detail side (when I compare with the other video below), it seems to me that there are some hammer on missing (or they do not come out loud enough to be noticed) every now and then. Not that it affects the song, but just to compare with the other one.

Great post

Marc

izzyhara

Sun May 02, 2010 9:32 am

Dang !!! That was flawless!! I have to figure out how to do that PIP thing cuz that is just too cool. Yes, share with the group what clicktrack is in Audacity. Your guitar playing and finger picking were superb and I don't think it was even a hair too slow. Everything was just so clean. I have always been impressed with you and this just keeps you on that pedestal. Your voice is quite nice. It is hard to sing with a song with intricate finger picking, isn't it? Well you have solved that problem. What a wonderful thing to find on TG on a Sunday morning. Thanks. Izzy

haoli25

Sun May 02, 2010 9:38 am

YOU 'DA MAN Jay!!! That was soooooo good. Your fingerpicking was awesome and your singing was a perfect compliment. Thanks for posting your video.

Bill Image

BobR

Sun May 02, 2010 9:41 am

Jay,

Excellent job!! Your finger picking sounds great and seems so natural. I really enjoyed the whole thing guitar/PIP and singing.

Bob

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic