Dont Fear The Reaper, progress markers.

mbleier

Mon May 17, 2010 3:53 pm

Brad,
I definitely want to reiterate what everyone else is saying which is great job working hard. It is great when you can have some video to show you how far you've come. Working on that alternating picking helps with timing issues in a major way especially when you start trying some harder songs. I was also curious if you have tried going back into the picking after you have down the strumming part?

Keep rocking it,

Mike

buzz_187

Mon May 17, 2010 9:38 pm

Greets Mike, and to answer your question, yes i have been practicing going back into the picking after the strumming part, and its choppy at best, but im still working on it, and still working on basic open chord changes, and starting to work on barre chords, and trying to practice with a metronome as much as possible, lol. Whats giving me the most problems right now, for some reason is, striking the correct strings, i mean, i got the chord changes to this intro down pat, but when i try to go full speed my right hand gets retarded for some reason, i just want to bite it off sometimes ;) but then i couldnt play at all!!!!! lol any tips for striking the right strings?!?!?!? anyone?!?!?

-Brad :side:

Lavallee

Mon May 17, 2010 9:45 pm

Hi Brad, try to play it at half the speed, Follow Neil in the slow down version of the lesson. Both your hands will learn to work together and then slowly increase the speed. If you only work at full speed to learn it, it will be difficult to have a clean sound as you are always rushing both hands, so the muscle memory does not record the right stuff.

Marc

buzz_187

Mon May 17, 2010 10:05 pm

thanks Marc, and you are right btw! When i do slow it down to around half speed, its pretty much flawless imo anyways! But as i gradually start speeding up, my hand starts hurting a lil from the strain and duration, and my concentration is thrown for a loop!

-Brad

Lavallee

Mon May 17, 2010 10:31 pm

Brad I try to practice at slow speed until I can close my eyes and play the song Or sections of it), then I increase speed. For the pain you might want to look at Andy' s post about barre chords.

Marc

buzz_187

Tue May 18, 2010 10:29 am

yeah i guess im just gona keep practicing at the quickest rate i can still acurately pick the strings, and when i get super comfortable with it, ill step it up 10 bpm's or so until i have arrived at full speed!

-Brad

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic