tvarga learning to play The Clap acoustic guitar

tvarga

Sun May 16, 2010 4:08 pm

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

Yamaha48

Sun May 16, 2010 4:17 pm

Thats sounds very good my friend.
Nice barr chords,and good strumming techniek.
Thanks fore share it fore uss.

greetz Anton

tvarga

Sun May 16, 2010 4:20 pm

I guess we now have to upload a video without any comments so I suppose I'll add some here.

Since there's been some talk lately about Steve Howe and even Neil mentioned 'The Clap' a few days ago, I figured that I'd try to dust off something I learned over 25 years ago back in College. I have no idea how I learned it, but I think back then I had the guts or tenacity to try to listen to a song over and over and try to pick out something that I could then play.

This is just my take on 'The Clap'. Parts of it are similar to how Steve plays it and others must be stuff I just made up. :)

As always, I can never play without mistakes when I'm being watched ... even if only by a camera. After many hours of trying to get a clean take, this one was the best that I could muster. My fingers were exhausted, but at least I didn't do too many mistakes until the very end.

I'm pretty sure that this video exhibits just about every possible bad habit that I've developed over the years. But, I guess that's why I can still play it. :)

BTW, this is how it's supposed to be played. :P

neverfoundthetime

Sun May 16, 2010 4:23 pm

Hey tvarga, that looked fast and complicated! Obviously, you are no beginner and I'm totally unqualified to comment on this song! Congratulations on joining the video posters club. Look forward to Neil's and everyone else's comments.

abiliog

Sun May 16, 2010 4:33 pm

Hi tvarga
This was very impressive.
Looking forward for Neil's comment or maybe a lesson on this tune. B)
Thanks for sharing,
Abilio

tom18

Sun May 16, 2010 4:37 pm

Wow tvarga that was terrific. I'd never heard that piece before but now I'm committed to checking out Steve Howe's recordings. Thanks for posting that, I look forward to whatever else you have up your sleeve.
Tom

michelew

Sun May 16, 2010 4:48 pm

My gosh that was just a whirl wind of fingers and cool sound. I'm way too inexperienced to offer any advice, except that I find I need to slow things down when I'm videoing myself. It helps to counteract the nerves.

I'm looking forward to hearing any advice that Neil has.

Lavallee

Sun May 16, 2010 4:58 pm

Tom , that looks very impressive, I have never tried it, but it looks challenging. Have you tried to play it very slowly against a guitar pro file for example (since there is no lesson yet on this classic)? I have found it very useful for the timing and Neil has suggested very often to do that.

By the way, you can edit the first post (where the video is) to put your comments there

Marc

izzyhara

Sun May 16, 2010 5:38 pm

Man that was very fun !!!! As others have said, I am not experienced enough to comment, other than to just say I wish I could play that as well as you !! Thanks for sharing. Izzy

jayswett

Sun May 16, 2010 5:55 pm

Don't know the song, but I know a good guitarist when I see one. Very impressive.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic