MarkM Wond'ring Aloud guitar lesson review upload

MarkM

Mon May 17, 2010 11:43 pm

Thanks all.

Marc - Thank you!! Not quite there like Ian but getting there bit by bit.

Kevin - Thanks! I do have a tab that I can send you thanks to Big Bear. I can't say that I followed it to the letter. I think I still have your email so I'll send it out in the morning.

Jay - Thank you. This song has been under my skin the last several days. Much more work needs to be done to smooth out the edges.

Dan - Thank you. I have to admit that I put some hours into this one. Still needs many more but I like where its at for the 5 or 6 days I've been working on it.

Bob - Thank you. It's a nice little song that doesn't get the attention as the rest of the album.

Bill - Thanks!! Ian has that Nylon string guitar that makes it sound so much better. Thanks for putting up that video. I've watched that and the one from the 1976 concert to try and help out with learning this song.

BigBear - Thank you. Well I wouldn't call it mastering the song but it's a step in the right direction. The album version is a bit faster than the live performances. I'd like the get the pace of the 1976 concert video. I agree that the runs are a bit faster than I would have liked. I need to smooth that out and soften it a bit. I totally agree on the bit with the D chord. That part with the pinky is my next step in the learning progression with the song. I had to get that part on the G and D strings down first (that took me forever to get somewhat comfortable with). With the 3/4 time I'm having a rough time with the hammerons. The pinky finger just doesn't want to get up there in time before the hammeron with the index finger. I tell ya the more I watch Ian's guitar playing the more I realize just how good this guy is. He makes it sound so effortless. I'll get this one down soon. Maybe singing it will help slow it down.

MarkM

mark

Tue May 18, 2010 4:17 am

Mark
I think you did a great job.

Ian Anderson has quite a complicated guitar style and it's not easy to do.

I agree with Bear (and that's twice already today), Aqualung is a really great albumn and this is one of the best songs on it.

AndyT

Tue May 18, 2010 4:20 am

People are agreeing with Bear. Will wonders never cease?! LOL

Mark,
Really nicely done here. I don't really know this song very well, but I could tell that it was a JT song because you were playing the JT 'signature sound'. Had I heard this on the radio, I would have thought it was Ian himself.

Catman

Tue May 18, 2010 5:56 am

Nice work Mark. You really have the Anderson sound there.

David

Yamaha48

Tue May 18, 2010 6:46 am

Hello MarkM.

Thanks fore share this nice video,sounds great my friend.

greetz Anton

willem

Tue May 18, 2010 6:54 am

Mark,thanks for reminding me at this song,,for you a step higher on the ladder,,i thought i could give any suggestions,,but then Siggi came a long,,it is 3/4 time and hitting the melody notes out,,in away,,lets say as in NW,,,

dennisg

Tue May 18, 2010 8:05 am

Absolutely fantastic, Mark. I loved it! Your ability with the flat pick continues to amaze me, and I can only watch it with envy.

pbraun

Tue May 18, 2010 8:14 am

Mark really nice, I thought the runs were great. I don't know the song well (guess I was busy with life back then) but what a pleasant melody.
Again great job with the song
Pete

suziko

Tue May 18, 2010 8:44 am

Really great, Mark. I was a pretty big JT fan in high school and this was always one of my favorite of their songs, maybe even my #1 favorite (battling it out with "Songs from the Wood"). It's such a pretty little love song. I think you did a nice job with it, though i can't offer any suggestions for improvement. I am wondering if you found good TAB somewhere and, if so, if you'd be willing to pass it on?

Music Junkie

Tue May 18, 2010 9:20 am

Mark:

Thanks for sharing that with us. I have such a hard time with the little bass runs, hammer-ons and pull-offs in songs like that. Kind of a bummer, as those are my favorite type of songs.... B)

At any rate, you are far superior to me, so I cannot offer you anything but kudos on your hard work. Really enjoy watching you play my friend.

Jason

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic