MarkM Wond'ring Aloud guitar lesson review upload

MarkM

Mon May 17, 2010 6:49 pm

I've had this song in my head for a week now and just couldn't let this one go. I have to say this is one of the hardest if not the hardest strumming songs I have ever tried to learn. I believe it is in 3/4 time and there are some tricky runs and hammerons, Most of which I missed in here. Although this still has a great deal of work left to be done to get it closer to the original (Aqualung Album) I don't think I could have gotten this far in a week without getting a better grasp of fundementals and technique that I got from Neil and this site. I'm trying to learn this song in a building block approach. I first started by just strumming the simple chords in time and then started to add some of the fills. I still havnen't hit those consistantly but hopefully in another few weeks I'll get there. Trying to stay in this time signature is very difficult for me so I'm still working on that. Thanks for watching and as always I look forward to your suggestions and comments.

MarkM

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

Lavallee

Mon May 17, 2010 7:32 pm

Mark, you did a great job on this song. I find that the hammer ons are very good and really keep up with the melody. I do not enough about time signature to help, but the whole thing sounds really good. I always like Jethro Tull and your playing brings their typical sound.

Excellent work

Marc

dekotaj

Mon May 17, 2010 8:02 pm

BRAVO!!BRAVO!!Mark,

Fantastic job on a tough song.Really enjoyed your playing.Everything sounded good.

Do you have tab for the song.If so I sure would like a copy.

Thanks Kevin

jayswett

Mon May 17, 2010 8:07 pm

I agree with Marc. This was very solid, although I don't know the original well enough to say how true it is to Jethro Tull's version. Regardless, it sounded great.

wrench

Mon May 17, 2010 10:05 pm

Mark,

You gotta cut yourself some slack, pal. I don't know the song, and therefore don't know what your target (yeah, pun IS intended) is, but if gets no better whatsoever, you have a great sounding song just like it is.

When you work hard on a song it really shows, and this has all the signs. I don't know what I'm supposed to hear in this song, but what I did hear was great. It looks really tough; this might one of those songs that needs long breaks during its development.

Dan

BobR

Mon May 17, 2010 10:07 pm

Mark,

I am not that familiar with the song, but it sure had the Jethro Tull sound. A little more time and I am sure you'll have it down the way you want. Very, very well done.

Bob

haoli25

Mon May 17, 2010 11:11 pm

Wow, Mark!!!! I don't know that I have ever heard Ian Anderson play it better. I think you nailed it! It was a pleasure to watch and listen to your video. Thanks.

Bill Image

BigBear

Mon May 17, 2010 11:13 pm

Hey Mark, it didn't take you long to master that song!! Well done my friend!

Only suggestion I can offer is some of the little runs from C to G and a few others are a little quick. Ian Anderson plays these runs pretty distinctly. You slowed down as the song went along so I think it might have just been a little performance anxiety! lol!

Another thing to play around with, and this isn't a criticism by any means because you are playing accurately per the tab, but Ian often lifts both his index and middle fingers off of a D chord, rather than a normal one finger lifted Dsus4. I'm not sure what chord it is with only the D on the second string fretted. Something like Dsus4add9 but I wouldn't swear to it! lol! But it gives it a little more of the Tull sound.

Now you've got me re-motivated to work on this song again!

Great job Mark! Thanks for sharing!! :cheer:

haoli25

Mon May 17, 2010 11:14 pm

For those not familiar with the song....

BigBear

Mon May 17, 2010 11:38 pm

haoli25 wrote:
For those not familiar with the song....

I know this song like the back of my hand and I still had to watch the video again! lol!

There are very few albums in the history of modern music as great as Aqualung and this song was one of the best!! Along with Locomotive Breath, Cross Eyed Mary, Mother Goose and a few others!

What a run- Benefit, Aqualung and Thick as a Brick! Three albums in a row for the ages!! Did I mention that I'm a JT fan? rofl!

Thanks Bill! :cheer:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic