AcousticAl learning 'Blackbird' Comparison guitar lesson

AcousticAl

Sun May 23, 2010 5:45 pm

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

MarkM

Sun May 23, 2010 6:10 pm

Al,

They both sounded pretty good to my ear. I can't play the song or haven't really given it a good effort yet so what you are doing looks great to me. If you are looking for what version sounded better than I would say the second/Neil's thumb version. It sounded fuller to me. Probably because you are using your thumb instead of the index finger. I know you've practiced this way for a while now and it sure has paid off. I couldn't tell if you were having any difficulty with the thumb. I'd like to see the whole song when you get more comfortable with this. The way your going I'm sure another day or two and this will be sounding perfect. Thanks for sharing. As a side note, what app where you using for the editing?

MarkM

AcousticAl

Sun May 23, 2010 9:34 pm

Thanks Mark.

I should have put up a progress video when I first started making the switch from my index finger. Come to think of it, I might have even done that. I'll check and see about uploading it as a laugh.

The edit program is AVS-- I bought it for $60 or $70. It's the one that I've used for some picture in picture vids I did, but before I only had the demo version. The demo version is the same, except it puts a watermark in the middle of the screen.

snipe

Mon May 24, 2010 9:45 am

Al,

I agree with Mark the thumb version sounded better. More fuller. I went through this lesson and wound up using my middle and ring finger alternating and pinching with my thumb?.? It was just easier for me to do it that way. Can you ealborate about AVS? Is it software you download etc? Or can you point me to a thread so I can educate myself.
Thanks
Mike

neverfoundthetime

Mon May 24, 2010 10:46 am

Have to admit, Neil's way sounds better Al... nice comparison... difficult to do the old and new way one after the other, I'd bet. Good to see you back on the screen Al!

@Mike... get the demo version of AVS and try it out. Like Al I bought AVS... well worth it!

BobR

Mon May 24, 2010 11:26 am

Hi Al,
To me it sounded like the bass came out much better in the thumb version. Both sounded good but I would go for the thumb. Easy for me to say I haven't tried either :blush: .

Good job

Bob

snipe

Mon May 24, 2010 12:51 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Have to admit, Neil's way sounds better Al... nice comparison... difficult to do the old and new way one after the other, I'd bet. Good to see you back on the screen Al!

@Mike... get the demo version of AVS and try it out. Like Al I bought AVS... well worth it!

Thanks, NFTT
I will check it out.
Mike

thereshopeyet

Mon May 24, 2010 1:29 pm

Thanks

AcousticAl

Mon May 24, 2010 9:05 pm

snipe wrote:
neverfoundthetime wrote:

Thanks, NFTT
I will check it out.
Mike

Yes- just search AVS video editor and you'll find it. A few people on here have downloaded it for free and used it in our student uploads. Free version works well enough if you don't mind the watermark in the middle of your forehead :)

cosmicmechanic

Mon May 24, 2010 10:53 pm

thereshopeyet wrote:
I suppose the enhanced bass is because the thumb uses down strokes rather than up strokes used by the first finger?
Al, I agree with the above, but just an aside comment on your post.

I watched your video maybe ten times looking at your fretting hand and wondering what on earth your thumb was doing differently in each version !

Then I finally got the drift, looked at your picking hand and realized that I play "Blackbird" with my thumb, and I did not think my thumb was agile enough to be so precise.

So I guess this is a freebie, I suddenly realize I am more proficient than I thought :)

Interesting post, this is a good example of little things that DO add up to make a big difference in the result.

Pierre

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic