MarkM - Wond'ring Aloud Final acoustic guitar

Lavallee

Fri May 28, 2010 10:05 pm

Hi Mark, excellent work. I find that your picking is accurate and make it sound like Jethro when you add the little fillings between the picked notes. I find it difficult as I am working on Mother Goose and there is a lot of that and I cannot make it sound as well as you do.

Thanks for sharing

Marc

d_dog

Fri May 28, 2010 10:52 pm

Awesome job Mark! Great singing too! You did really well with the fingering and fast changes on that one. Love it!

BigBear

Sat May 29, 2010 11:16 am

Mark- it must be too early for fly fishing in New Hampshire because this version is night and day better than the first! You've been working hard on this! Really great job and you've inspired me to get on it!!

I was especially impressed by your hammer-ons and pull-offs; very well done! The only suggestion is when you hammer on your pinky don't do it quite so quickly, let the note be more deliberate and ring a little.

You have the perfect voice to sing JT songs, the timbre of your voice is actually really close to Ian's, especially in the early years before he destroyed his.

I really, really liked your performance of this great song. Congratulations on all your hard work! So what JT song is next? I'm working on Thick and trying to get the timing and speed down. Ian is a deceptively good guitarist for a flute player! lol!

Thanks for sharing the update. I think it's great when we can all see the before and after!

Cheers! :cheer:

MarkM

Sat May 29, 2010 11:46 am

Thanks everyone. Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Between work and yard work it's been busy.

Bob - No worries Bob. Ian sings this song a bit different and if you hadn't heard it before I would think the same. However my voice was pretty pitchy and didn't do this justice. I agree that its a song that once it gets in your head it's hard to forget it. Thats how I ended up playing this for two weeks and forgetting just about every other song.

Jay- Thanks. There is always room for improvement. Hopefully I can make those adjustments over time and this will become second nature and better. Good news is I carried on a coversation with my wife while playing and didn't miss a beat.

Dan - Thank you. Yes I agree this has been the most difficult/complicated song that I have at least played through. Still some minor tweaking but I'm pretty happy with the effort I put in over the past couple of weeks. When I was younger I just liked the sound of this music but now I'm appreciating it more for the way it is played.

Mike - Thanks for your kind words. As long as I'm getting better I'm happy.

Kevin - Thank you. You are right in that this is a right hand workout. Normally I'll have issues with what the left hand is trying to do but in the case the chords are all easy. Trying to keep time and hitting the strings in the proper down up, hammeron, pulloff, etc is what made this complicated for me.

Bud - Thank you. I wish I had a better voice like you.

Willem - Thank you as well. I'm not naturally gifted so for me it's all hard work and trial and error.

Bill - Thanks!! Loved the "rock"

Marc - Thank you Mother Goose has different difficulties. I just started with that yesterday and find that although the chords are easy its all about the picking pattern.

Damian - Thanks!!!

BigBear - 3 more weeks and I'll be flyfishing!!!! I agree that I still need to let the pinky stay on the G String a bit longer. For the moment I'm happy that I can actually get it up there in time. Easier said than done on that one. I'm working on two at the moment. One is Mother Goose and the other is Reasons for Waiting. Thanks for the kind words. Much appreciated.

MarkM

AcousticAl

Sun May 30, 2010 7:01 am

Just caught this, mark. Stellar strumming! Also impressed by your singing-- and would be even more impressed if you said you sang it while you recorded- and didn't overdub it.
Was it live -- or memorex? (The young'uns won't get that one) B)

dennisg

Sun May 30, 2010 8:29 am

Mark,

I really appreciated seeing up close how you played this because there are so many nice, subtle things you're doing that add up to a great performance.

I remain a fan.

Yamaha48

Sun May 30, 2010 3:21 pm

Hey MarM.
Good strumming and chord changes man.
I like this tune.
Thanks fore sharing with us.

Greetz Anton

neverfoundthetime

Sun May 30, 2010 3:42 pm

Hi Mark... missed this until now. I thought the singing really added a lot to the whole thing and as was already mentioned you get the sound and feel of Ian Anderson at times really well. I thought it was excellent. Great job!

Chasplaya

Mon May 31, 2010 1:02 am

Very nicely played Mark, good steady rhythm, pretty good hammer ons and pull offs, and singin awesome dude, its a pleasure to see your progress.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic