neverfoundthetime learning to play So Deep Within YOu acoustic guitar

neverfoundthetime

Sat May 29, 2010 4:35 pm

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

Well this is me fiddling around with a song I love and trying to find out from scratch how to play which parts and put it together so it sounds some thing like it's supposed to. I put this together in completely illogical fashion and in the end couldn't work out how to start the song because it starts on beat one with sound and lyrics, which is a little unusual. Anyway, I tried playing it live, tried the little fill-ins and sang over it. Found it difficult put things together in the exact timing, so I know it's all over the place and I still have technical difficulties with using AVS so the sound is sometime rough, sometimes ok. WIll have to go back to school on this but it was fun to try out.

mcfingers

Sat May 29, 2010 5:19 pm

Bravo Chris, Well done. I love the Moody's. Does it feel somewhat weird to accompany yourself? Just wondering, it sounded great.
Steve

jayswett

Sat May 29, 2010 5:33 pm

That looked like alot of fun to make. Very nice. What video editing software do you use?

Lavallee

Sat May 29, 2010 5:39 pm

That was great Chris, your playing and singing is very good as usual. Are you using the same technology as FS0003 for the PIP ?

Marc

haoli25

Sat May 29, 2010 6:52 pm

"On The Threshold Of A Dream", what a good album! Nice job Chris. I haven't heard "So Deep Within You" in ages. I really like your version of this great song. Thanks for posting it. Hey, nice jacket too. :)

Bill Image

neverfoundthetime

Sat May 29, 2010 7:27 pm

Hi Guys... thanks Steve, Jay, Marc and Bill. I always have you in mind Bill (and Bear) when I'm playing Moody Blues. Threshold of a Dream was a beautiful album. Been working on Send Me No Wine too... there's a really fast riff in that which almost works by now.

I was using AVS Video Editor for this and I'm starting to get the hang of it but am not so sure how to get better sound quality when publishing the video. Hmmm, must read up on that. Tried out the fade function at the end. Used a function to reduce the Dbs as I sang it a bit laud at the end and had to hide the distortion. The video-in-video function is really simple to do. It is all a bit fiddly adjusting the time line but I found by zooming in as far as possible you can nudge and adjust to the micro second. Made a little echo on the vocal track as I was basically just singing into my laptop mike, nothing sophisticated. Sang "burning" second line of last verse instead of "My heart is yearning" but didn't bother redoing it just for one word. All in all it's not rocket science using AVS, most of it is instinctive and I haven't actually had to bother reading anything yet to find out what to do... maybe that shows!! :-)

So Deep Within You - Moody Blues

Talk to me baby, I want to sleep at night
My heart is heavy, it's weighed down by the night
And now I'm lonely, I want to see the light
So deep within you oooh

Cool wind is blowing, through your crazy hair
Warm colours flowing, this feeling we have shared
And now I'm lonely, I want to feel the love
So deep within you oooh

Your love's a never ending dream
A castle by a stream, of sweet understanding
I know you're thinking of me too
The messages from you, are my inspiration

Love's incense lingers, it never fades away
Like you I'm waiting, for our special day
And now I'm lonely, I want to feel the love

My love is burning, like a forest fire
My heart is yearning, I feel a warm desire
And now I'm lonely, I want to touch the fire
So deep within you oooh

Chords: Dm / Asus / A x3
Dm / G
then F / Am / G / D / A / x2 (Your Loves a never ending dream...)
to Dm / G (riff)
...that's pretty much it.

Chasplaya

Sat May 29, 2010 8:08 pm

Sorry Chris not changing that one word just ruined it for me, very disapointed you didn't redo the complete thing. jk mate :laugh:

Serious, really enjoyed that, have you heard a guy called Tom Savell's version, he uses a fiddle instead of the flute, pretty cool also his guitar solo fits well with the song. PLus he plays nearly the entire thing with barres.... Only real comment I would up the volume on the little riff, on the original that comes through more than on yours, I guess its just a case of playing with the settings you've got. Other than that all good. That darn voice again, just suits the Moody songs so well , going Tovo colour here lol

You are getting good at playing with yourself ummmmm.....

michelew

Sat May 29, 2010 8:11 pm

Great playing and singing Chris. Besides the competition, it's been too long since we've heard that fabulous pipes of yours. I was wondering when you were going to post something. Even with the bits where the timing of the second track is ever so slightly off it sounds good.

AcousticAl

Sun May 30, 2010 6:52 am

It finally happened.. The phantom singer has accompanied HIMSELF!!

That was really fun, Chris. Great strumming and singing as usual.
I'm with you about instructions-- HATE 'EM. I'd much rather mess around first and use instructions as a last resort.

jayswett

Sun May 30, 2010 6:53 am

I've tried playing a 12 string guitar from time to time and have found it to be a challenge. You obviously have no problems with it. Six months or so ago, I saw a guy play a song called Hard Sun (Eddie Vedder's Into the Wild soundtrack) and it sounded very intricate and complex, yet he was only strumming. I resolved to get a 12 string guitar at that point, but have yet to make it happen. Upon reflection later, I decided that it made more sense to become more proficent on a 6 string guitar before moving on to a more complicated instrument. Once again, nice job on this Moody Blues tune.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic