buddy learning to play TEARS IN HEAVEN acoustic guitar

beaker

Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:12 pm

I will echo what a lot of others have said including being jealous of you making the effort to get this one down. Yeah, a week or two more play throughs, along with some metronome work and those minor bugs will be ironed out. Nice job! Beaker.

Chasplaya

Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:16 pm

Hi Buddy good work mate in keeping it going. Its not an easy one to get the continuity. I think if you can crack the signature riff right at the start you would be almost there with Claptons half of the song... it really needs the Andy Fairwother Low part to complete it and this is something many people overlook and get frustrated as they can't get the recorded sound.

The timing of the intro riff and the fingering if done like Clapton is I believe the key to nailing this song. Clapton uses the grabby thumb for the A hammer on and Pull Off on it and for the E/G# now technically speaking thats not correct but its the way I learnt it and seems to help the timing, also attention to note duration , all the hammer ons and the pull off are 16th notes , plus barring the A some people try and finger a D chord for the hammer on pull off combo but if you use a barre A its easier, the first note after the hammer on pull off combo is an 8th note and it rings on while you move to the E/G# using the grabby thumb for the G#, the fluency is easier if you are already holding the thumb on the F# and slide the shape up. I can't recall but I think Neil says to use the traditional/correct fingering which is fine although I struggle with that as I copied the way Clapton does it and have been using that for years now. As for the rest of it you've got it nailed man. The bridge in particular , this is an area where I often get wrong as its quite a change from the previous patterns, but you play that very well.

buddy

Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:15 pm

Thanks all for the feedback as your input is always so helpfull. I have been working on this song on and off for a few months and as was noted, I am still working on timing.

I may add the vocals later after I have the guitar down better but I really wanted to focus on the guitar part first so I did not detract from learning it completely before I tried to sing along with it.

Jay, I had been working the horses all day before I recorded this and my legs were pretty worn out so I decided to sit this one out. I must be getting old or something :-).

Chas, I am tracking with you on the intro details, and as you can see, I like the Grabby thumb thing better as well.

Bud

willem

Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:13 pm

Hey Bud(dy),,great song to learn,,like Chas it needs the other guitar part,,but can't split he(well we can,in vid) and if we want to sing it we must keep our own pluckin i think,,great to see you add this song,,i tryed but layed a side for a time,,looking forward to your progress and singin..

AcousticAl

Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:16 pm

Hi Buddy,

At first I thought you were trying to tweak the song a bit and give it a jazzy feel. But if you're trying to get it like the original, you need to look closer at the timing, as others have also said.

Good first effort, though.

tovo

Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:54 pm

Hey Bud,

This song I think is a great example of how the original artist fingered it vs the "smarter" way to play it. I remember from Neil's lesson that he does not recommend the thumb over, but that's the way I am learning to play it, Chas has said the same and you dig a bit of thumb over action yourself. For me, I am keen to play it the way Clapton does (at least the same fingering, I know I won't play it like he does), you know what I mean!

I have wanted to play this one ever since Al posted it before it was a lesson and he did such a wonderful job. I might follow you lead here and post a progress video.

Keep working mate!

tombo1230

Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:21 pm

Hi Buddy,
well done man! This is a tough song to play, but can help you get to the next level. The metronome is a must for practice and will improve your playing no end. Your on your way. This one is on my list to do as it is just so great!

Well done! :)

RicksPick

Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:02 pm

Hey Buddy

I enjoyed that, It's a tune I'm constantly working on.
Yours seemed a little quick, but further on than me.
I enjoyed hearing just the guitar this time,
which is my preference, a sweet sounding guitar on it's own needs no accompaniment,
or is that cos I carn't sing,lol

Anyway nice to catch up with the forum peeps

RicksPick

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic