Music Junkie learning to play Rivendell acoustic guitar

Music Junkie

Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:09 am

Craig: Thanks! It was good to finally get something up (hey, wait a minute, that did not sound flattering to me.... :woohoo: ).

Mike: Thanks, I would really like to try this one whilst sitting on a side wall..... B)

Willem: Yes, there were several mistakes..... I wish i could blame it on the camera, but it was just me flat missing notes by picking the wrong string or bumping an extra string. But hey, that is what practice and feedback are for... :laugh:

Chris: Yeah, that's the 814ce. Very fun to play! This is a song that I think would suit your voice very well. BTW, I really enjoyed your work on the GL song. Excellent work by all of you!

Jay: Coming from you on a fingerpicking song, that means a lot to me. There is a chord change in there that would be sooooo much easier if I would just use an alternate fingering leading up to the change, but that alternate fingering is killing me right now. Mostly because of my flippin' pinkie! Just won't cooperate right now. Still needs some stretching and a bit of discipline.

J

wrench

Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:36 am

You've nothing to fear but fear itself.

That was was really therapeutic to listen to. Few other sequences of open chords strike me so melodically soothing. I agree with Marc about the thumb, but to consistently maintain that position, I think you need to raise the neck a little. I like the Neil posture. There is nothing wrong with doing what the masters do right. It's a proven strategy.

That was a beautiful piece. Thanks for posting it for us.

Dan

Music Junkie

Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:51 am

wrench wrote:
You've nothing to fear but fear itself.

That was was really therapeutic to listen to. Few other sequences of open chords strike me so melodically soothing. I agree with Marc about the thumb, but to consistently maintain that position, I think you need to raise the neck a little. I like the Neil posture. There is nothing wrong with doing what the masters do right. It's a proven strategy.

That was a beautiful piece. Thanks for posting it for us.

Dan
Dan:

Good point. Lifting the neck up would help quite a bit, and I have tried it with some success. I just can't seem to get it to stay there.... :( I notice when Neil is playing, his is angled up slightly. I start out that way, and it inevitably drops back down. I need to work on that!

Thanks,

Jason

BobR

Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:36 am

Jason,

No real comments other than it was very enjoyable. Love the guitar(and of course your playing). I hadn't heard this song before so I'll have to check out YT. BTW you looked very relaxed playing.

Thanks for posting
Bob

pbraun

Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:43 am

Jason, would need to ask my son about this song. I didn't realize it was Rush! I think they were his first concert he went to. Anyway whatever "mistakes" you thought were in there, they were undectable to me. I thought it was great, very enjoyable. I must get the hang of fingerpicking! Too many songs that require it.
Great job on that song
Pete

dekotaj

Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:54 am

Hey Jason,

Bravo sir.Don't know the song.But what you played sounded good to me.Enjoy your trip.Look forward to your next post.

Thanks Kevin

Music Junkie

Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:58 am

For those of you not familiar with this song, here is what it is SUPPOSED to sound like..... B)

J

dekotaj

Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:03 pm

Thank you.Great song!I'm going to check out more of this group called Rush.

wrench

Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:14 pm

Music Junkie wrote:
For those of you not familiar with this song, here is what it is SUPPOSED to sound like..... B)

J
Nope. Like yours better.

MarkM

Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:27 pm

Dude.............

That was really good!!!!! I agree that you made this look pretty effortless. How do you pickers do this?!?!?!? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I was a big fan of Rush when I was in highschool. Actually had tickets on 3 different occasions and still never saw them. Grounded twice :blush: :blush: and one show got cancelled because of a snow storm :angry: :angry: . I wasn't meant to see them I suppose.

The guitar looks and sounds great!!!! The video quality was really good as well. You should post more videos as you do look very comfortable up there. Certainly more comfortable then I feel or look. Great job!!!

Oh and 3 weeks from today I'll be nursing a great Cabo hangover as I stand in the river............I'll have to get my goat going as well. :laugh: :laugh:

MarkM

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic