Music Junkie learning to play Rivendell acoustic guitar

suziko

Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:33 pm

Very pretty, Jason. I had completely forgotten that song. I used to be a HUGE Rush fan back in high school. I always liked their ballads (like this one, and Madrigal off of A Farewell to Kings). You look very comfortable playing that song and I didn't hear any obvious mistakes. In fact, when I listened to the original, I was struck by how faithful yours is to it.

Gotta know- is that your dog walking around in the background? I think I hear someone's collar jingling!

Suzi

mcfingers

Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:41 pm

I am with Wrench, I liked your version. Very mellow, relaxed and quite nicely paced. Did you learn that by ear or did you find the music somewhere? I would like to play around with that one.

Great job looking totally relaxed while being terrified, I know the feeling. :laugh:

dennisg

Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:49 pm

Extremely nice job, Jason. I could listen to that all day. Love the new Taylor, by the way. Is it everything you hoped it would be?

Music Junkie

Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:23 pm

Mark: I appreciate your comments! A Cabo hangover while flyfishing in the river.........I am so daydreaming about that...... B) That is just good therapy there...... :)

Suzi: LOL, yes, that is Trixie coming in to lay down by me (funny, she used to run away when i played). I am really surprised that she did not show in the clip, she's as big as a horse! Thanks for your support. Rush has so many good songs, many of which are not as popular. Madrigal is a beauty as well.

mcfingers: I found a great GP file online. If you PM me with your e-mail addy, I will send it to you in GP format, or in PDF, whichever is best for you. The GP file is actually more true to the original than what I played. There is a chord shape in there, that I had to adjust, cause I just can't play it correctly right now. My pinkie won't cooperate..... :)

Dennis: Thanks for the compliment! Yes, the Taylor is actually MORE than what I had hoped for. It is so easy to play and the neck is very comfortable. It is very smooth and my hand does not seem to get caught up on it nearly as much as it does on my other guitars.

J

haoli25

Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:08 am

That was excellent Jason! You and that new Taylor sound great together!

Bill Image

AcousticAl

Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:11 am

Hey MJ!

Great to see another vid from you. Loved the song. You did make it look effortless, and I'm liking the 'Neil position' with the crossed leg.

I always notice the techniques that I'm trying to work on in my songs- the angle of your left wrist/ picking hand. It seems pretty straight in this vid, and Neil suggests to angle your wrist/fingers more towards the floor.

Can you please send me a .pdf of the song? Wife LOVES Rush. Actually dated a bass player before me (whose name is NOT Geddy) :laugh:

BTW- when do you get your NEW guitar?

Music Junkie

Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:59 am

Bill: Thanks kind sir. The new Taylor sure is fun to play.... B)

Al: I saw my hand angle in the video and see what you mean. That along with my super bad thumb habit, are two that need to be fixed. They are getting better, but still very bad. It has been difficult for me to get rid of several of the bad habit I had before learning from Neil. When I get my Laptop turned on later today, I will forward the TAB to you. I still have your e-mail addy...... :)

J

tovo

Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:10 am

How did I miss this? Really great MJ, I didn't see or hear any mistakes that detracted from the performance at all. You should have no fear of posting videos, I'd love to see more from you.

Anyway, congratulations. You have been selected to participate in the International Taylor Exchange Program (ITEP). Send your Taylor immediately, and when I get it I will send mine. (Promise).

Music Junkie

Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:12 pm

tovo wrote:
How did I miss this? Really great MJ, I didn't see or hear any mistakes that detracted from the performance at all. You should have no fear of posting videos, I'd love to see more from you.

Anyway, congratulations. You have been selected to participate in the International Taylor Exchange Program (ITEP). Send your Taylor immediately, and when I get it I will send mine. (Promise).
Hey Tony, thanks for the encouragement. The mistakes were mostly just missed notes, but if you keep going, they do get hidden a bit. Funny how mistakes are just so much more obvious to us when they are our own..... :laugh:

I have several other songs that I have been working on, and I do plan on getting more up soon.... B)

I would be happy to oblige you on the exchange program, but I first need to see a video of you playing left handed, or playing a guitar upside down..... :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

J

RicksPick

Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:41 pm

MJ

Nice to see you again
Sweet sound you got there M8
What a lovely tune, played well.

RicksPick

Going for another listen

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic