tvarga learning to play Nothing Else Matters acoustic guitar

tvarga

Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:10 pm

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

After recently watching AcousticAl's video of 'Nothing Else Matters', I got real motivated to learn it too.

As usual, I can never get all the way through a song without some mistakes. At least I think I hid 'em pretty well on this take. :)

Yamaha48

Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:32 pm

Hello my friend.
That sounds realy good.
good performens,i love it.
Thanks fore sharing.

greetz Anton

tovo

Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:27 pm

Great job. As you practice this one further it will get cleaner and cleaner. I'm not being critical with that comment, I think it's a great job right now and I so enjoyed listening. You play it great. I'm just saying as you get more comfortable, you will play it brilliantly.

Thanks for the look.

michelew

Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:48 pm

Tom that was beautiful and very stirring.

Getting through a 4 and a half minute song without a couple of flubs is an impossible task in my book. In fact the closer I get to the end of the song without making one, the more likely I am to make a big one because I get all stressed and my heart rate increases when I realise that I might be able to post it.

Thank you for posting. I thought it was lovely.

Michele

Chasplaya

Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:26 pm

This song is a marathon, and you play it well. Thanks for posting it.

Lavallee

Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:40 pm

Hi Tom, very nice playing, you have a good tempo and your fingerpicking is excellent. Even if it is a slow song , it is much more difficult than it seems and you are doing an excellent job.

I would suggest to pay attention in the intro to the two slides in measure 6 and 7 (at about 20sec) . They are a hammer on followed by a slide. I can hear a bit of the first one but the second is more like 2 pull off. I noticed those 2 because I had a hard time on them and spent hours on those 2 measures.

Also at 28 sec in measure 9 and 10 when the 3 bass notes are hit in sequence I find that they should be muted right after they are hit by lowering your fingers right away after the pinch(along with the 2 other notes at the fifth fret in between) ( should sound (sorry for the onomatopes) like POOM,POOM,POOM but if you do not mute and slide directly it sounds more like POOM, PWOOM, PWOOM). No big deal for the song but I find it to be a useful technique that I have used in other songs. It stops the strings from ringing.

Marc

AcousticAl

Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:16 pm

Hey there Tom. Nice to see that I motivate someone-- other than motivating them to change the channel on me! :laugh:

Also nice to see someone else take this song on. I really enjoyed your version of it. Isn't it a blast to play? So much going on- even though it seems like a slow song.

Thought your tempo was good, picking was clean.

I'd double check your fretting at 1:13, 1:35, and a few other times you play that measure. You're fretting the high G on the E-string there- where that shouldn't happen until you do it at 1:23 and 1:47. Does that make sense?

Anyways, great job. Welcome to the 'Nothing Else Matters' Club. Should we start a TG group now??

willem

Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:39 am

Tom, i enjoy it very much,,alway's when i hear this tune i think that one i have to learn,,thanks..

snipe

Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:08 pm

Tom,

I am not familiar with all the technical details with this song and it seems like there are many but to my ears it sounded really good. I was impressed with the fact that you could straighten your shirt and continue to play as though it was an afterthought :laugh:
Nice going. I may have to put this on my list.

Mike

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic